value of second hand items

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thurrock bees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all
Been a long time since ive posted, admin if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it.
I brought aload of second hand commercial hives with bees from a late beekeeper, ive removed the bees and melt the wax out. im now left with something like 20-25 brood boxes and 40-50 supers, im looking at selling them at auction and im wondering how you would work out the best starting price for them, they are all in good nick and ready for bees once the new unused frames have been waxed. Im selling the following ..
brood boxes
super boxes
new unused frames
solid floors
new wrapped foundation
foundation press x2
commercial frame feeders.
and im sure there is more.

How would YOU work out a good price?

TB

Hi all
Been a long time since ive posted, admin if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it.
I brought aload of second hand commercial hives with bees from a late beekeeper, ive removed the bees and melt the wax out. im now left with something like 20-25 brood boxes and 40-50 supers, im looking at selling them at auction and im wondering how you would work out the best starting price for them, they are all in good nick and ready for bees once the new unused frames have been waxed. Im selling the following ..
brood boxes
super boxes
new unused frames
solid floors
new wrapped foundation
foundation press x2

TB

I would test the market on Ebay preferable in late spring and to get a good price i would suggest the following

1) single items make more per item than selling two items together

2) auction needs to end on a sunday at a reasonable time in the evening and not a 7:00pm on a weekday or early morning (weekeday lunch time ok)

3) auction lots need to be space out in time, several all finish at the same time will result in low prices for last few

4) good description stressing cleaned and sterilised etc

and i would bid for the foundation press, been after a press for years

local bee auctions can be very varaiable and have seen them go both ways and baragains to be had but also high prices for a load of tat

Last edited:
You would probably make more selling privately. At auction the best way of getting rid of the worst items is to mix with good but that means a reduced bid. Auctions also take betwee 10 and 15% commission from the seller and likewise from the buyer + VAT. Not the way I would go.

Sound like you can put one of the presses up in the wanted / for sales forum on here to highest bidder.:smash:

I suggest that if you're selling commercial hives by public auction you need to be in an area where commercial hives are popular.
I would clean and blowlamp them, give them a coat of green timber treatment, bee friendly of course, and offer them for sale in tens on eBay, and expect to get a bit less than T***hornes winter sale price.
One tip, if you are scraping clean brood boxes/supers, Sc*rewfix tungsten carbide paint scrapers are much more effective than hive tools. Also, do fit new frame runners.

Hi all
brood boxes
super boxes
new unused frames
solid floors
new wrapped foundation
foundation press x2

TB
There is bee related classified Ads website where you can post Ads for FREE there is no cost even if you sell. Just type beekeeping and then put online on the end in the web address. It's a uk website.

thanks fo the replies and PM's i will reply soon, i think what is not sold tho the current interest the rest will go to the sites auction site, watch this space...

You probably wont sell any of them as beeks are frightened of broad diseases, You would be better off selling them to me for firewood :biggrinjester:
and the foundation press is only worth scrap metal value as they are rubbish. :ohthedrama:

Gotta watch out for them broad diseases! Only affect females, do they?

Back