Using Old Super Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I need to add another super and the only one I have has frames that have been used before. They have dried out wax and last years pollen in them, likely from another colony; Can I add these to a colony in the knowledge that the bees will clean them up before storing honey.

As long as you know there is no disease the bees will sort them out "usually" lol

I think the bees will sort it out. I have seen experienced beeks putting in used frames that I would have regarded as dirty (from a beginners viewpoint) but they have explained that the bees will sort it out.

No problem at all, drawn comb is good to use as they don't have to make wax, don't use it for cut comb though!
E

90% of my frames in supers are comb that has been used before, you get more honey re-using comb

Thing Finman calculates it at 25% on langstroths

Last edited:
But only if you have more than 4 hives and treat for Varroa whether they need it or not ....

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

On topic, AFAIK all bee keepers with more than four hives reuse drawn supers year after year after year and providing you know you colonies it doesn't matter where they go back on, can't begin to imagine the palava otherwise.

Storing them "wet" is to my mind preferable.

Oh, and two, three and four hive owners can also do this.

Chris

What about one hive owners then Chris - or are they to be consigned to a lower caste? - the untouchables of the beekeeping world!

In the normal course of events one hive owners wouldn't have to worry about which hive the frames had been on previously....however I apologise if any one hive owners felt left out....

....but once again we need to remind ourselves BIG IS GOOD.

Chris

MM - what are you saying??? Is he not human???

More seriously, can you use a supers frame for honey this year that last year was used for brood?

acabee

No comment on the first question

And my comments on the second

personally i would not use a super for brood or extract honey from any brood frame other than to feed back the honey to my bees, but some do especially those with one size boxes or broods as supers but It's frowned upon by many as it is said to taint the taste of the honey being with brood, although I have tasted it and havnt noticed a difference

You may also wish to consider the definition of extracted honey for labeling purposes under

Statutory Instrument 2003 No. 2243
The Honey (England) Regulations 2003
Schedule 1 item 6

Extracted honey is honey obtained by centrifuging de–capped broodless combs

however I assume that does not preclude you calling it just honey

Last edited:
Back