Using Maple Syrup?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8LGM

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I have an amount of maple syrup that I wil not be using.I was thinking of mixing it with sugar syrup in the spring to use it up. Is this a bad idea?

Yes, because the other option is that you could donate it to the forum members and we can put it on our pancakes!!!! :)

Brian

Is this a bad idea?

Yes, and apart from the reason above.

You might get away with some but you are not offering any quantitative suggestions, so my suggestion is steer away from anything the bees would not collect themselves. If they felt disposed to collect maple syrup, OK; but thrust upon them may lead to digestive problems.

Regards, RAB

Thanks Rab. Much appreciate you help and thought out advice. Looks like I'll be eating a lot of pancakes. :cheers2:

Is this a bad idea?

Yes, and apart from the reason above.

You might get away with some but you are not offering any quantitative suggestions, so my suggestion is steer away from anything the bees would not collect themselves. If they felt disposed to collect maple syrup, OK; but thrust upon them may lead to digestive problems.

Regards, RAB
They may well do , after all Maple syrup is crudely produced from the tree sap which aphids kindly present in the form of honey dew :D

John Wilkinson

But remember, honeydew from aphids is not the same as the sap extracted from the plant. Filtered and subjected to digestive fluids.

I think unopened maple syrup will store some time. Better open some more of ours. Yummy!

Regards, RAB

Thanks Rab. Much appreciate you help and thought out advice. Looks like I'll be eating a lot of pancakes. :cheers2:

Pass some over here please, I love pancakes and maple syrup, yummy yummy, nom nom nom.

Due to the boiling to reduce maple sap to a syrup, what sort of HMF values are likely to be encountered. HMF being bad for bees; just a thought?

from Journal of Food science:

"An exhaustive chloroform extraction of maple syrup removed the maple flavorants. The extract was analyzed in part by a gas chromatograph-mass spectrometer tandem procedure. Several previously undetected flavor-related compounds were found in trace amounts. Among these were the aromatic compounds acetovanillone, guaiacyl acetone and vanilloyl methyl ketone. These aromatics could have resulted from the ethanolysis of ligneous material previously reported in maple sap. Sugar degradation products found were furfural, hydroxymethylfurfural, lactic acid and levulinic acid. These indicate that the products of caramelization also are part of the maple flavorants.

Acids found, in addition to those above, were the C5 to C9 aliphatic acids and oxalic, fumaric and malic acids. All of the acid occurred as ethyl esters resulting from unintentional esterification during extraction. The C, to C, acids may be artifacts perhaps derived from the vegetable oil used as antifoaming agent in syrup processing."

If you want to swap some maple syrup for honey, I'm in South London and would be pleased to oblige.

Maple Syrup

from Journal of Food science:

"An exhaustive chloroform extraction of maple syrup removed the maple flavorants. The extract was analyzed in part by a gas chromatograph-mass spectrometer tandem procedure. Several previously undetected flavor-related compounds were found in trace amounts. Among these were the aromatic compounds acetovanillone, guaiacyl acetone and vanilloyl methyl ketone. These aromatics could have resulted from the ethanolysis of ligneous material previously reported in maple sap. Sugar degradation products found were furfural, hydroxymethylfurfural, lactic acid and levulinic acid. These indicate that the products of caramelization also are part of the maple flavorants.

Acids found, in addition to those above, were the C5 to C9 aliphatic acids and oxalic, fumaric and malic acids. All of the acid occurred as ethyl esters resulting from unintentional esterification during extraction. The C, to C, acids may be artifacts perhaps derived from the vegetable oil used as antifoaming agent in syrup processing."

After all that I think I'll stick with Golden Syrup on the Pancakes!:drool5:
Regards
TBRNoTB

TB

sorry to disappoint you!!!!

http://www.pjbs.org/pjnonline/fin1382.pdf

"It is also reported that many sugars type
products e.g (golden syrup, molasses, etc), have levels
of HMF that are 10-100 times that of honey (Dvid ACushman,
2007). In this study, one sample HP4, is a
golden syrup which showed an HMF content of about
341 mg/kg
. If the accepted limits of honey are between
30-100 mg/kg, then this sample could be of a good
quality."

They may well do , after all Maple syrup is crudely produced from the tree sap which aphids kindly present in the form of honey dew :D

John Wilkinson

Provided it is real maple syrup and not MAPLE (flavoured) SYRUP you see often in the shops. Though as that is golden syrup, I don't suppose it is all that bad.

Or is it, beekeeping oracles?

Ah, of coursem HMF. GOt to get my head round that one.

psafloyd,

I don't suppose it is all that bad.

Maybe not for us, but, without searching out the 'harmful level threshold' for bees, I might suggest some very considerable dilution with HMF-free material might be in order?

Regards, RAB

water that has experienced maple syrup before dilution!!!!

Sorry, I did not consider water as a means of reducing the HMF level concentration.

Is that me being sloppy in my writing, or you being pedantic?

Regards, RAB

sorry no pedantry intended. just a thought on the intrusion of homeopathy into our practice!!!!

next we could try treating nosema using a tiny bit of old comb from a heavily infected colony added to a big batch of new wax!!!!

Latest posts

Back