Wax and syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeValeur

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi , I was wondering if anyone would bother rendering wax that still has old sugar syrup / Candipolline in it ? Would it be worth the hassle? Many thanks , Lee

Hi , I was wondering if anyone would bother rendering wax that still has old sugar syrup / Candipolline in it ? Would it be worth the hassle? Many thanks , Lee
I soak my honey wax washing it through a siv with water before rendering down in hot water no reason why you couldn’t do the same.

I know this doesn't answer your question, sorry, but I thought it would be of interest to other beginners who, like me, have not reached the stage of recovering wax. Apologies if its already covered elsewhere on the forum, I couldn't see anything in the stickies section...

https://hannasbees.ie/how-to-render-beeswax/

HTH someone.
K ;)

I know this doesn't answer your question, sorry, but I thought it would be of interest to other beginners who, like me, have not reached the stage of recovering wax. Apologies if its already covered elsewhere on the forum, I couldn't see anything in the stickies section...

https://hannasbees.ie/how-to-render-beeswax/

HTH someone.
K ;)
Thank you for the link . My problem is that I have 8 brood/super boxes full of comb that has been filled with a mixture of sugar syrup, Candipolline and honey from last season. I don’t know whether it would be worth the hassle to reclaim the wax or not . Cheers for your help though , very kind of you , Lee

If it is good comb, just with stores in, why render it down? Drawn comb is a valuable asset to the bees. Get the bees to clean it up for you. Treat for wax moth and store it until needed.

I soak my honey wax washing it through a siv with water before rendering down in hot water no reason why you couldn’t do the same.
With plenty of rainwater available, and quite a lot of old frames my method has been:
1. strip the foundation out and break it into pieces no bigger than three square inches straight into an old pillowcase
2. clothes pegs to close to opening of the pillowcase. Dunk it several times into a large bucket of clean rainwater. Refill the bucket and leave the pillowcase etc in for a couple of hours, then dunk a few more times before hanging the pillowcase on an empty section of washing line to drip dry.
3. render down using one's preferred method and filter etc.

I have 8 brood/super boxes full of comb that has been filled with a mixture of sugar syrup, Candipolline and honey from last season
they don't store candipoline, they just convert it to sugar 'honey' same as they do to sugar syrup.
just was it out and render it down

Back