Using a washing up bowl as a feeder!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhill20

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
44ish
Hi All
Does anyone use washing up bowls as feeders, if so how do you do it. How do you stop the bees from drowning,what do you use as a float on the syrup surface!!

Mick

plenty of straw is what is needed ;)

Know a guy who has used cat 2 littered trays stacked in a super. Work OK

I know of people who use washing up bowls as feeders and I've done it myself when I found I was short of feeders in an emergency. I rubbed the inside surface of the bowl with sandpaper to roughen it and used the polystyrene base from the packaging of a plastic pizza as a float.

James

Fed my colonies in the autumn using washing up bowls with plenty of straw inside. The bowls took about 9 litres of syrup and the bees took it all down within a week. The side feeding slot was used in the crown board with an eke around the bowl and the roof straight on top the eke. Didn't see one drowned bee.
Very successful, it saves time messing about with small feeders and expense purchasing miller/ashforth feeders.

Fed my colonies in the autumn using washing up bowls with plenty of straw inside. The bowls took about 9 litres of syrup and the bees took it all down within a week. The side feeding slot was used in the crown board with an eke around the bowl and the roof straight on top the eke. Didn't see one drowned bee.
Very successful, it saves time messing about with small feeders and expense purchasing miller/ashforth feeders.
Do you have a picture?

Do you have a picture?
Seriously, watch the German bee vids . the lass uses something similar but deployed under the colony . A simple washbowl like container filled with straw and then topped up with syrup . Nowt technical about it :).
VM

Warre hive beekeepers use a tray that has rows of corks floating on the syrup.

Warre hive beekeepers use a tray that has rows of corks floating on the syrup.

For a top bar hive I used the plastic mesh children learn embroidery with cut to the shape of the container and a few dowels stapled underneath to keep it afloat.

Latest posts

Back