Unusual request

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thurrock bees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi i have recieved a email from HMP service who are local to me. They have asked for a hive to be placed on the grounds. Im waiting for some more information. I know it is a CAT C male prision.

Any advice or ideas welcome. Discuss ...........:grouphug:

P.S. No chance of hive theift or damage :cheers2:

I guess it depends on their motives? Whether they are expecting you to provide the hive/bees at your cost (and is this reasonable depending on their motivation)? Possibilities:

1. They have extensive on-site horticultural activity and want to improve pollination. You tend your hives as you would anywhere else

2. They expect that selected 'stake holders' (as they are apparently now called) will be trained to tend the bees and gain experience confidence. More over whether you are happy providing this free service in this environment?

3. The obvious answer I haven't thought of.

I suspect you can't decide on your position until that additional information arrives, including your own safety / support whilst on the premises. Good luck with it. R

Go for it, doesnt everyone deserve a second chance and a hobby such as beekeeping might just get them interested in something other than criminal activity. You will be well protected by the warders and if you dont, well, take the bees away.

There are a few things to think about, having worked in them as a sub contractor.

Time taken to get in and out.
If there is a break out you will not have access
If there for any reason is a situation you will have to leave the beehive at once.

All of these have happened whilst working at parkhurst IOW mind it was some time ago.

Portsmouth beekeepers used to run hives with the prisoners at Kingston prison.

They may be able to offer advice if you contact them.

I used to work in prisons. It`s a bit intimidating the first time you go in but it`s ok once you`re in. I used to have my tools counted in and out, in case a screwdriver / oxy acetylene kit went missing, so i suppose that would be the same for hive tools etc.

Don`t eat any food you`re offered. I`d tell you the story about the pasty but there may be people with a weak stomach on here. :puke:

Darren

Risk assess, duty of care to yourself & the bees, (keep your eyes on the hive tool) Lol.

LOL - IMHO I'd say yes if it was a Cat A High Security prison, and put conditions such as 'minimum protective equipment' will be provided and then put your nastiest, most feral colony in the grounds and stand back and watch.....

....but seriously, you might get some real interest and get 1/2 really motivated guys who will turn to beekeeping and perhaps it will help them focus on something positive for the future..

S

on a flipant note you dont reckon their after female company then all 30 or so thousand

remember not to bend over, back against the wall laddie.

I echo grizzlys thoughts, if by chance you spot a fiver on the floor, I`d kick it to the carpark before bending to pick it up. Remember.....Risk assess every time...lol

They might learn how to nick the hives......

Grizzly,

That could be a means to widen the circle of one's friends, might it not? (That was a 1960s definition).

Regards, RAB

If you do go ahead just dont tell the crims how much the stuff is worth or they may end up stealing bee hives instead.

Watch out for govenor turn over. Make sure the prison staff who get involved are genuinely interested and watch out for prison politics!

I was a screw for 13 years and believe me you have nothing to worry about in a C cat nick. Mind you I know the cons will ask you to bring stuff in but all you have to do is say No. It should bee a rewarding enterprise.

If you do go ahead just dont tell the crims how much the stuff is worth or they may end up stealing bee hives instead.

It could be a suggestion from the prisoners wanting training for hive rustling as a change of occupation when they get out

update

I just spoke to Officer concerned. They are looking at keeping bees as part of a eduction/resettlement course. They are looking for a mentor to train the inmates and staff on beekeeping. They also would like to build the hives themselves via the prisions woodshop ( been told i would get beehives made for me :cheers2:) they are looking for more than one and '' would make my time rewarding?! ''.

Any thoughts??

:grouphug:

Find out all the information before you get involved.

Latest posts

Back