Uncapping tools

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've started this in the beginners section as it's aimed mainly at those poeple with just a few hives .. it's not aimed at those of you with flash uncapping machines although your input is welcome.

I've been extracting today ..

I've got both an uncapping fork and a variety of uncapping knives. I only extract once a year so my uncapping technique doesn't really reach the muscle memory stage ..

My frames are foundationless so they tend to be a bit on the thick side .. and occasionally there will be a few bits that are irregular in shape ..I don't mind - it's what the bees do and they hold a lot of honey.

The uncapping fork is what I use most with a small knife to clear the cappings after each pass, those frames which are less full and even in construction I use the uncapping knife.

I have a stainless steel tray with a piece of timber with a hole in it to support the frame whilst I uncap.

However, it all seems a bit disjointed .. I don't dislike what I'm doing I just wonder if anyone has any tips or (inexpensive) bits of kit that make life easier.

I'm sure some of our newbies will appareciate any help as well as me ...

I use one of these:

uncappingroller_l.jpg

Very quick to use and virtually no mess.

Phil

Have you tried using a hot air gun? I use methods very similar to what you have described but a group I belong to produced honey for the first time last month and one of the members brought along to the extraction meeting a hot air gun - the type used by decorators to remove paint. After very little practice, I found that cappings could be removed with no mess - though no cappings' wax - in no time at all. Far quicker than using an uncapping fork but it does take practice not to overdo the heat.

Worth a try.

CVB

I do practically exactly what you do, Philip
I have tried all sorts and returned to the fork every time.
The worst thing was a roller like the one in the post above.
Hot air gun doesn’t work on wet cappings and if you’re extracting only once I’m sure you’ll have a few of those. Anyway I like the wax

Piece of wood with a nail through holds my frames while I uncap with a hot air gun. Don't get many wet cappings.
E

Phil

Have you tried using a hot air gun? I use methods very similar to what you have described but a group I belong to produced honey for the first time last month and one of the members brought along to the extraction meeting a hot air gun - the type used by decorators to remove paint. After very little practice, I found that cappings could be removed with no mess - though no cappings' wax - in no time at all. Far quicker than using an uncapping fork but it does take practice not to overdo the heat.

Worth a try.

CVB

:iagree:

Run the tines of the fork over the cappings as you uncap..... least messy and quickest of the other methods is the nylon motor driven brush type... but still requires manual handling..... and if un uniform capping smashes the lot to an awful sticky mess!

I tried the fork and the slice this year (like the picture) and the fork seems to be the better method for me.

When we had an extraction night at the local association, I took along the slice for people to try.

The slice was certainly quicker without doubt but required a little more skill and if the frame were a little unevenly capped then you could end up digging in to areas and taking off to much of the top.
This meant more honey in the uncappings to filter off.

Most of the people preferred the fork.

E3021-800-228x228.jpg

I seemed to get the knack with the fork and got very little waste if I didn't rush at the frames.

What did help me was doing all the extraction in the kitchen when it was nice and warm and the sun was out.

This meant I could just stand the cappings in a filter over a bowl for 24hrs and the sun heated it up slightly to let it filter though.
I probably got another couple of jars of honey this way and the cappings were not completely dry but just barely tacky at the end.

I used this method for up to 80 hives........so I suppose one could say it's proven.

Honey bucket with a strip of flat wood or ply running across it. Screw inserted from underneath in the middle so the tip of the screw protruded enough to secure the side bar. Two short bits of wood pinned and glued at each end so that the wall of the bucket fitted between the two. That secured the wooden strip to the bucket.

Cold carving knife and proceed knowing the frame was secure. It's having the frame secure that makes the odds. Especially as so many these days are unfamiliar with using knives safely.

PH

Care to expand on that?

It’s a personal opinion
After one pass the teeth were clogged with cappings and any further application just crushed the comb unless I got a fork out and dislodged them
I have two rollers free if anybody wants to pay the postage.

It’s a personal opinion
After one pass the teeth were clogged with cappings and any further application just crushed the comb unless I got a fork out and dislodged them
I have two rollers free if anybody wants to pay the postage.

:iagree: it's an absolute mess and you end up with loads of wax clogging up your strainers

I used to use a Taylors eye witness 25cm cabbage chopper knife (no. 8280 in attached catalogue) and an uncapping fork to sort out any cappings that were inaccessible. The combination worked well together and coped with a decent amount of honey over last 4-5 years. Having a system to deal with the cappings helps speed up the process (decent capacity uncapping tray with a honey tap, buckets to store wet cappings, tools to transfer cappings between the two to limit the spread of honey everywhere)

https://taylors-eye-witness.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/tew-2019-catalogue-download.pdf

it's an absolute mess and you end up with loads of wax clogging up your strainers

Strange isn't it how personal opinions can be so different. My view is the complete opposite. No mess at all and no need for

uncapping tray with a honey tap, buckets to store wet cappings, tools to transfer cappings between the two

What cappings go into the extractor just end up in the strainer and... drain.

So far I have tried:

- carving knife
- roller uncapper
- uncapping fork
- heated slit uncapper (not cheap)

They all have ups & downs - you just need to find what works for you.

Carving knife - takes off a thicker wax layer & more honey goes into the wax cappings bucket. Extracted honey has very little wax in it so it filters quickly.

Roller - got clogged up

Fork - became tiring & more little pieces of wax in the extracted honey which blocked the filter making the process slow

Slit uncapper - expensive and can get tiring on the hand/wrist, need source of steam. Works very well though.

What cappings go into the extractor just end up in the strainer and... drain.

so every ten minutes you have to clean the strainer - OK if you've got the time to sit watching the honey slowly fight its way through a mass of wax dust before pouring another few litres in to do the same again

so every ten minutes you have to clean the strainer - OK if you've got the time to sit watching the honey slowly fight its way through a mass of wax dust before pouring another few litres in to do the same again

Or a series of strainers and an assistant:D

:

Agreed.

Well ... seems like general con census leads to exactly where I am. I like the capping wax as it's nice and white ... so the Heat gun is out. I have a two bucket filter system for draining the cappings that works well. Possibly the only thing I will improve is the frame location device which I made years ago and it slips about ... I can see the benefit of something more firmly located... for either fork or knife. Have to think about that a bit ...

Thanks everyone ... any more ideas welcome!

Uncapping fork. I end up with a tray of capping wax and the tiniest amount of honey that filters from it. I bought an abelo uncapping tray with a nice bar and deadly spike, the tray is too shallow and the tank is too deep but it does the job.

Latest posts

Back