Turned a hive 90degree caused chaos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom8400

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

After but of advice I had a pair of hives on a stand in the summer I'd obviously turned the original one to do the split. 3 or 4 days ago I stupidly decided to turn the original one back so they were not flying across a path and it would enable them to have their landing board back. I also narrowed the entrance on the far end.

I thought they would figure it out and go in the entrance, some have but also a lot haven't and seem to be a lot going under the hive and sitting there and therefore dying. I have tried moving some back to the entrance with mixed results.

Today I'm finding bees around the hive climbing on nettles and grass below the landing board also.

I can't imagine it's a space issue as I did remove a empty super a good week ago.

Any ideas? Should I turn hive back.? And confuse the ones that have realised that I turned it. Or should I drill a small hole in the side of the floor to allow them in the side? Original entrance? Other option take landing board off and see if they climb around.

Lastly I did wonder about brushing all off and inserting the floor tray

I'm a little confused on what's going on

Thanks for any ideas

Suggest next time you turn it 45 degrees at a time. Put the floor tray in and put a sheet of wood on the side of the stand where the old entrance was

They orientate their entrance to the sun. You have confused them. Turn them a little a day so that they don't suddenly find their entrance missing. It is a bit like someone bricking your front door up and failing to tell you there is a back door!
E

Your problem is leaving the OMF accessible. No problems turning 90 degrees providing you close off the OMF and any access to it.

You can't say there's no problems I've turned hives even a small amount and the confusion can last for a day and into a second day . I agree about the omf floor seal it up.when turning hives do it in small increments, every day or every other.

You can't say there's no problems I've turned hives even a small amount and the confusion can last for a day and into a second day . I agree about the omf floor seal it up.when turning hives do it in small increments, every day or every other.

What's to worry about a day or two of confusion?
I only inspect weekly so there is never any problem when I return. Leave the bees to get on with what they do best- less interference,

Two days of inturupted forage. If you do it slowly they don't notice . Or perhaps do it when all bees are in the hive morning/Evenings.
I'm only going by what I've seen with my own eyes,
I spend a lot of time observing my bee's at home , some would say to much!
Sorry I'm slow at this sh-z!

Back