bees cant find under floor entrance advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
i made a under floor entrance, collected my new bees and have 1/2 pint worth of bees that cant find there way in i blocked it with a piece of wood that fits in the hole (17"x3" )with a rag /strip of t shirt around it i have pulled it out one side for access but left it in there so they dont get to cold the entrance gap is 8mm the full with the bees were put in from the top and the ones out foraging have come back i think some must have gone in the entrance just wondered if any one had any tips
thanks paul

Last edited:
Take the rag out
6 am its all open now, i just had it closed abit at the front to offer a bit of protection for all the bees in the entrance that could not find there way in most have gone this morning ,there are bees around but i have added a super this morning im not really seeing much travel in and out just around (maybe still trying to get back in ) .i have been back out there and they seem to be using it a bit i have lifted the brood box and put a stick in it so they can get out i dont know if it was to early for them ,now 10;15 they seem to be active now later i will remove the stick the are going in the floor and the gap when i made my floor i gave it a 8mm gap all the way across

Reducing the entrance will cause a blockage , simply remove the entrance block and normal service will resume.

They don't need sticks or matchsticks and certainly not between the UFE and BB , next you will be saying they are being robbed.

Now when you remove the sticks and close the gap , they will be even more confused . The bees now used to coming in the gap will all cluster and fly around looking for it.
Keep it simple , you have made and fitted a UFE so leave the bees to it they will soon get used to the new set up. No need to undo the process you have started.

Unless the colony is very small there is no need to faff with reduced entrances and certainly they don't need gaps added to boxes.

6 am its all open now, i just had it closed abit at the front to offer a bit of protection for all the bees in the entrance that could not find there way in most have gone this morning ,there are bees around but i have added a super this morning im not really seeing much travel in and out just around (maybe still trying to get back in ) .i have been back out there and they seem to be using it a bit i have lifted the brood box and put a stick in it so they can get out i dont know if it was to early for them ,now 10;15 they seem to be active now later i will remove the stick the are going in the floor and the gap when i made my floor i gave it a 8mm gap all the way across
Bees are usually fairly late risers.

Reducing the entrance will cause a blockage , simply remove the entrance block and normal service will resume.
hi i just had it in for travelling but could not put it all the way in as a lot of bees could not use/find the entrance then when i got home i took it off but the bees were still there so i put it in at an angle leaving 40mm ish gap one end i opened it right up at 6am they seem ok now .
thanks

They don't need sticks or matchsticks and certainly not between the UFE and BB , next you will be saying they are being robbed.

Now when you remove the sticks and close the gap , they will be even more confused . The bees now used to coming in the gap will all cluster and fly around looking for it.
Keep it simple , you have made and fitted a UFE so leave the bees to it they will soon get used to the new set up. No need to undo the process you have started.

Unless the colony is very small there is no need to faff with reduced entrances and certainly they don't need gaps added to boxes.
ok i was worrying they could not get out and i had made the gap to small
thanks

hi i just had it in for travelling but could not put it all the way in as a lot of bees could not use/find the entrance then when i got home i took it off but the bees were still there so i put it in at an angle leaving 40mm ish gap one end i opened it right up at 6am they seem ok now .
thanks
It would have been simpler to have explained/mention this in your original post, then those viwing your post would have a better clue as to what is occuring and why.

Now you will have to smoke and be careful not to squish a lot of bees removing the sticks.

My bees like the warmth of the sun usually after a cooler evening this time of year. Late to bed and late risers mine are, they were still flying between 8pm and 9pm last night and some still arriving back well past 9pm.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back