trickling over, suit in wash

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much all you can do if you cant bear the stink anymore

Non detachable hood is the Achilles testicles of cheap suits.
I dont think you can rely on the mesh to be uv resistant or physically durable to withstand even gentle cycles in the machine for long.
Im slowly working the old stuff along the rail of doom but Ive got spare veils made up ready so the old ones can be picked out and replaced in fairy quick turnaround..
A clothes peg in the toolbox is handy if you have a wardrobe malfunction mid session,but you can be certain the little sods will find the hole before you do

There seems to be a lot of unneccesary black magic spouted about washing bee suits
just wash it on a normal 40° wash, using bog standard washing powder/liquid, with most washing machines now you can disable the spin cycle, so at the end of the wash, take out the veil and then just spin dry the rest.
do it regularly (you should for hygiene purposes anyhoo) and the suit shouldn't get so grubby you need an intensive wash cycle.
in which case, as above but take it out and leave it drip dry

Its the grinding of the wash cycle that damages (any) fabric as much as the spin cycle-thats why most machines have a "delecates" program too.
Its still too much for plastic mesh fighting with zip runners which is what I think the Op was alluding to

Its the grinding of the wash cycle that damages (any) fabric as much as the spin cycle-thats why most machines have a "delecates" program too.
Its still too much for plastic mesh fighting with zip runners which is what I think the Op was alluding to
I have one suit hanging behind the study door which has been in constant use for over twelve years (semi retired last year), it's travelled halfway around the world, done stints in sunny Africa, and apart from the occasional (intentional) soaking in a very strong hypochloride solution at one time has been washed regularly using the same method as I've always used - the veil is still going strong

Pretty much all you can do if you cant bear the stink anymore

I don't recall hearing that Achilles was dangled by his balls when dunked in the river Styx! 🤔😂

I stick the veil in a sleeve or trouser leg to stop it getting battered or mesh caught on any zips. It’s worked so far….

BTW anyone noticed the price of soda crystals has suddenly rocketed? Was buying it for 80p for 1kg from Sainsburys. This week it was £1.70 😱
Don’t try buy it online. You are looking at 7-8 times the price from the usual big online retailers.

Don’t try buy it online. You are looking at 7-8 times the price from the usual big online retailers.
Yeah saw that. Can’t believe they have the nerve to sell it at that price when it’s available from any supermarket.

BTW anyone noticed the price of soda crystals has suddenly rocketed? Was buying it for 80p for 1kg from Sainsburys. This week it was £1.70 😱
I haven't bought any this year (last) as I usually source it from Home Bargains or one of the various sub-pound shops at two packs for a pound last lot I bought.

£1.25 in Tesco.

Yeah saw that. Can’t believe they have the nerve to sell it at that price when it’s available from any supermarket.
I bought 36 Packets for £15 last year on an Amazon warehouse deal with free delivery - will probably see me through the next few years of suit washing, hive tool cleaning and frame boiling ! Pretty essential product in beekeeping. Is this another price hike resulting from supply and demand forces and opportunist proifiteering or is it that the manufacture of the product is costing more ?

Looking at some extraordinary price hikes at present that bear little correlation to the overall cost of living increases, it cannot all be down to energy cost increases ... I do wonder. I've seen, over my long life, that many in the chain from manufacture to end user, once they have an excuse to increase prices, inevitably take the opportunity to wack on some additional profit,

I'm old enough to remember moving from 'old money' to decimal coinage - I was working in Woolworths at the time and the 'rounding up' as we changed over to money that many people could not get their head round the new coinage gave some massive hikes in price that went largely unnoticed by most customers.

The other thing I've noticed - and it's a very subtle price hike ... anyone bought a packet of Walkers crisps lately ?... Average weight for a bag from a multipack is now 22gm - they used to be 27.5gm. Standard bags were always 35g and are now 32g and both have increased in price over the last few months by over 10%. So ... product weight reduction of 10% + a price increase of 10% ....

Just one example (and we don't eat many bags of crisps, thankfully, but there are millions of kids sent to school every day with a bag of crisps as part of a packed lunch) I'm sure there are many more ...

i use a bucket with soda crystals to soak hive tools in at apiary...does anyone use disinfectant? i heard of someone with a bucket of weak bleach used for dunking hive tools in

I bought 36 Packets for £15 last year on an Amazon warehouse deal with free delivery - will probably see me through the next few years of suit washing, hive tool cleaning and frame boiling ! Pretty essential product in beekeeping. Is this another price hike resulting from supply and demand forces and opportunist proifiteering or is it that the manufacture of the product is costing more ?

Looking at some extraordinary price hikes at present that bear little correlation to the overall cost of living increases, it cannot all be down to energy cost increases ... I do wonder. I've seen, over my long life, that many in the chain from manufacture to end user, once they have an excuse to increase prices, inevitably take the opportunity to wack on some additional profit,

I'm old enough to remember moving from 'old money' to decimal coinage - I was working in Woolworths at the time and the 'rounding up' as we changed over to money that many people could not get their head round the new coinage gave some massive hikes in price that went largely unnoticed by most customers.

The other thing I've noticed - and it's a very subtle price hike ... anyone bought a packet of Walkers crisps lately ?... Average weight for a bag from a multipack is now 22gm - they used to be 27.5gm. Standard bags were always 35g and are now 32g and both have increased in price over the last few months by over 10%. So ... product weight reduction of 10% + a price increase of 10% ....

Just one example (and we don't eat many bags of crisps, thankfully, but there are millions of kids sent to school every day with a bag of crisps as part of a packed lunch) I'm sure there are many more ...

Unilever used the war/oil prices as an excuse to raise prices significantly last year.
In times of inflation, that is what happens: shoppers cannot keep up to date prices in their heads and are vulnerable.

Sainsbury's are grossly over staffed and have to pay for them. I only shop at our local for milk and products on offer which I cannot buy cheaper elsewhere.

(I was brought up in Scotland)

I bought a load from Amazon last week, it was 80p per kg. The deal has disappeared now though. They probably got hammered with orders.

Latest posts

Back