Treatment of cedar hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks on that Bushman, it's just that the testing costs money and times are hard.

Much easier not to make the claim than to have to pay to prove it.

What is the best treatment to keep cedar hives waterproof ive heard linseed oil is good.

Iv'e only been keeping bees for two years now, but this is what we do in the boat building industry. Slap as much epoxy resin on the wood as it will take up.
Failing that, if it still leaks water, we conctruct a big ar*ed bimini cover over the top of it , made from sunbrella, which is 100% water proof.
That should do the trick...

Brian

At risk of name dropping again we had a talk at our LBA two weeks ago by the National Bee Inspector who runs quite a few hives some of which are painted in exterior emulsion, he also treats his clearer and crown boards with yacht varnish and creosotes his hive stands.

He aims to do all repairing painting and treating before Christmas and believes that any vapours will have dissipated prior to using the equipment in the following season.

if you read bees at the bottom of the garden I think he states about the use of equal parts paraffin, creosote and waste engine oil and that he has never noticed any sudden increase in losses. I imagine that if that won't kill the bees you could probably get away with most things, ohh and he does this with the bees inside the hive! Go with what works I guess lol.

100% waterproof, but doesn't breathe, does it?

I think I remember reading that boiling makes it thicker and it then penetrates less well. Although I did read of people using 50/50 mixtures of both

Hi folks. Newby here with new bees - but in a very old cedar hive. What would you recommend as a waterproofing treatment for the hive? I also have a spare old cedar hive and can see that the recent heavy rains down here have penetrated through the hive walls.

Thanks

whats wrong with repairing the holes? i have just put a metal plate on the inside of one of my hives to repair the hole, let the bugger try that again in the same place, it would be fun watching it try!!!

I noticed in Wickes today CREOCOAT, smells a bit like creosote and is probably cheaper to make and nastier if the truth is told. Just stopping to read the label for a moment and the smell was on my clothing for about an hour.

I noticed in Wickes today CREOCOAT, smells a bit like creosote and is probably cheaper to make and nastier if the truth is told. Just stopping to read the label for a moment and the smell was on my clothing for about an hour.
That stuff is evil!!! read again ,it's riddled with warnings :(
VM

Latest posts

Back