Treating swarms with OA

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the mites somehow anticipating the casts to follow?

Or would it simply be that a lot of mites cling to very young house bees which will not fly with the swarm? The mites anticipating, or being close by, the brood cells which will be capped in the near future?

Regards, RAB

Isn't it the case John that swarms contain bees of most ages? In any case, the reference above (and personal observation) suggests that swarms can carry a lot of mites. It may be the brood break stressing and ageing the mites that has the best effect, plus the spare time the bees have to pick mites off and throw them away!

G.

Great responses from all, does the mite load not increase as swarms move from the prime one to casts too? I would have thought the older bee ratio for cast swarms would increase and so mite counts.

Also I did mean to say open brood on my first post too, this was for swarm control but not having a side effect of increasing mite count.

JD

Last edited:
Could be Rab. And jezd, I've no idea whether or not the mite load increases, decreases or stays the same going from prime swarm to casts.

There are other factors too that might be operating. One might be that bees carrying mites are already primed to leave the colony and go at the first opportunity, with the prime swarm.

G.

Indeed food for thought .
Maybe I'll check swarms by maybe sugar dusting , still going to be difficult to quantify ,given the size difference between prime swarm and cast?
Another prob at my apiary, is management ( Being an excellent beekeeper I rarely have swarms issue :leaving: )

John Wilkinson

Indeed food for thought .
Maybe I'll check swarms by maybe sugar dusting , still going to be difficult to quantify ,given the size difference between prime swarm and cast?
Another prob at my apiary, is management ( Being an excellent beekeeper I rarely have swarms issue :leaving: )

John Wilkinson

LOL:puke:

The beekeeper who has never had a swarm is either liar or he lost all his bees .
LOL :svengo:.

John Wilkinson

Of course John.

Keep taking the tablets there's a good chap......LOL

PH

Latest posts

Back