Trail cam recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadnlad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A few and some more
Devoid of realistic ideas to put on my christmas wishlist, and with large quantities of treefruit mysteriously disappearing from our allotment this summer, I've hit upon a potential dual solution

Has anyone else used one and/or can recommend one to this trailcam numpty please ?

Devoid of realistic ideas to put on my christmas wishlist, and with large quantities of treefruit mysteriously disappearing from our allotment this summer, I've hit upon a potential dual solution

Has anyone else used one and/or can recommend one to this trailcam numpty please ?

I have Bushnell. There is a vast range but the cheaper ones are fine. You need to be able to set the delay time to a second or so otherwise you get lots of shots of nothing, the camera clicking on after the culprit has gone. Having said that Aldi and Lidl jobs are good too

I use them as part of work and my recommendations would really depend on what you need.......you could end up asking Santa for something really expensive.
One of the best (cheapo's) I have used are made by Suntek and HC-300m both are made in China and look very similar, sold on Fleabay. Relatively easy to set up and will if programmed correctly send pics to your phone or inbox providing you pop in a data sim.
If you want good pics then Bushnell or Ltl Acorn would be my choice. I have had a couple of Scoutgaurds but they failed after a few years, might be bad luck/batch but I wouldn't go back to them
S

eBay item number:

Had one in use like this.. was an expensive bit of kit to have stolen!
And the culprits never went near the hives.
Never did find out who took all the hive lids off and played "frisbee" with them.
Game warden did have to warn a couple of " poachers" off the land however!

Nos da

The main problem is that you need two of them, one to watch who is nicking the fruit and the other to see who pinches your camera.

The main problem is that you need two of them, one to watch who is nicking the fruit and the other to see who pinches your camera.

I leave them in hedges and fixed to trees, only ever had one nicked, touch wood
S

eBay item number:

Had one in use like this.. was an expensive bit of kit to have stolen!
Nos da

I leave them in hedges and fixed to trees, only ever had one nicked, touch wood
S

That's the only problem,
easy to pick up and carry away then sell on Fleabay!

If something is remote enough to allow theft of (low-cost fruit), do you really want to be leaving £100-£200 worth of kit (that can be popped into anyone's pocket) tied to the nearest tree???

Chances are the culprit could be watching you position it!

Why not buy a broken one or empty case for a fiver on Ebay & watch that with the real one. Doubt the good old boys in blue would be interested in any photos you get though, too busy catching speeding drivers these days.

https://uk.ask.com/youtube?q=Welsh+speed+camera+van&v=CRvHGZJY7xY

That's the only problem,

If something is remote enough to allow theft of (low-cost fruit), do you really want to be leaving £100-£200 worth of kit (that can be popped into anyone's pocket) tied to the nearest tree???

Why not buy a broken one or empty case for a fiver on Ebay & watch that with the real one. Doubt the good old boys in blue would be interested in any photos you get though, too busy catching speeding drivers these days.

I 100% agree with that, petty crime takes time to follow up and investigate, then there is the pa lava of going to court, it is not worth it for them and most of the time it will be a druggie or someone on benefits who will pay the small fine at £5 per month.
Drivers are a much easier target with on the spot fines especially with the amount of cars on the roads today, us motorists are just a big cash cow for the police who will be raking it in from us.

Sadly today the only police you see in Cornwall are probably lost..... agri crime is a real problem.

What is crime like where you live?

Yeghes da

Sadly today the only police you see in Cornwall are probably lost..... agri crime is a real problem.

Yeghes da

Apart from farmers leaving mud on a public highway nothing ;)

That's the only problem,

I am always surprised that more of my firms kit does not go missing, some of the equipment we leave out is worth thousands of pounds but very rarely goes missing. It is of course insured for theft but we cannot get insurance to cover damage by the worst miscreant.....bloody inquisitive cows.

Not had one stolen yet but a GSM trail cameras would send a pic of the prospective thief close to the cameras, well before they picked it up to steal.
S

Last edited:
Cheers for all your replies chaps, loads of possibilities there

TBH it's most likely to be a fellow allotmenter given how far from the public it is, so more a case of me being able to front up whoever with the evidence rather than take to the plod

Yeghes da
Apart from several stabbings several assaults and one murder over the past month it is pretty quiet, oh i forgot last week a old couple got beat up with planks of wood and there house robbed, that is about it really.

Cheers for all your replies chaps, loads of possibilities there

TBH it's most likely to be a fellow allotmenter given how far from the public it is, so more a case of me being able to front up whoever with the evidence rather than take to the plod

Maybe maybe not.....We lose large amounts of all fruit and we set up a camera too. Crows!

In the last 18 months: three colonies stolen and destroyed by a new beek.

A small greenhouse frame dismantled and left just inside the garden (for later pick up?).

Hose reel, with hose, mysteriously moved itself to just outside the garden (for later pick up?).

These are the ones I have noticed.

Video cams are not the best idea - the scum can easily locate them with night vision equipment when the IR lighting is triggered. 940nm IR photos are the better option, but rather more expensive.

A small greenhouse frame dismantled and left just inside the garden (for later pick up?).

Hose reel, with hose, mysteriously moved itself to just outside the garden (for later pick up?).

Video cams are not the best idea - the scum can easily locate them with night vision equipment when the IR lighting is triggered. 940nm IR photos are the better option, but rather more expensive.

If you are being targeted by thieves, I would suggest taking other measures to protect your equipment, or remove the temptation.
I had to surround my caravan with Heras fencing last year to stop continued thefts and an attempted arson, yep I did get images but the police couldn't identify the culprits as the covered their heads with hoodies which BTW I would ban!
The OP was about theft of fruit, if you are worried about IR lighting alerting thieves or animals, buy a product that uses black IR such as a Bushnell.
S

Yeghes da

We had one @ 9 months ago!

Two Eastern Europeans siphoning Heating tank, into Jerry cans.

However, they left the tailgate to their Merc open!
Old chap walking his Doberman at 4 in the morning spotted them and shut his dog inside the car, calmly walked home, called the cops and put the kettle on! :cheers2:

By the time the police turned up nobody could go neat the car without the dog going mad!

Think they got a suspended sentence & are still drawing UK benefits!

Last edited:

The standard 9 volt really cheap mini cctv cameras often sold in bird boxes have ir outside the visible spectrum plus an inbuilt microphone. Usually sub £10 You would need a 12 volt TF card recorder and a couple of suitable batteries which would add to the cost but wouldn't break the bank.
For home use the options are easier regarding power, camera options, recording etc. and by using cat5 cable with baluns very long runs are easily achieved.

Latest posts

Back