Tortoise Advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greatbigchicken

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know beekeepers are a diverse lot so I'm looking for advice on keeping a tortoise, any hints or tips, advice on what books to read etc would be greatfully received.

I'm looking to get either a marginated or a hermann.

Thanks

Not sure if both OH and myself have a shared distorted childhood memory but for proper husbandry don't you need access to a supply of tepid Janet Ellis's breast milk to wipe their eyes with before and after hibernation?

my daughter has a herman called fluffy, the moast important bit of kit this year has been a heat lamp as they wont eat if they are too cold, and they shouldent be made to hibernate blue peter style when they are young as they cant store enough food, i think bees are alot simpler to care for :spy:

Dr S, you are correct in thinking that they need adequate calcium intake, but I don't think it necessarily needs to be tepid Janet Ellis's breast milk, I'm sure supplements are available in this day and age.

Village Girl, I've always wanted to keep chickens, bees and tortoises, since getting with my husband we've had chickens for about 4 years, bees for 2 and hopefully a tortoise very soon, my life will be complete. I think you are right about bees being easier to keep, but I'm always up for a chalange. I think Fluffy is a great name, I was thinking of Horatio or Thor if it's male, not sure yet for a female, but I've just read that it can be several years before you can tell.

:iagree: also when you get your tortois take pictures of under thear shell as they are all diferant like finger prints and can be a way of identification if lost stolen or jusr run away.
happyness is just a tortois away
oh and aparently they like to have other tortoises about for company :seeya:

Our tortoises were called Heidi and Henry... we hibernated them every winter in the airing cupboard in one of granddad's old skeps!

We had to paint our address on their backs because they kept escaping onto the Purley Way!
That was in Croydon in Surrey when it still has an aerodrome!

It is raining again !

My sister inherited her tortoise couple when she bought her house 30 years ago,as did the previous owners. She thinks they must be about 60 years old.
They free range in the garden and put themselves to bed in the autumn.

Our tortoises were called Heidi and Henry... we hibernated them every winter in the airing cupboard in one of granddad's old skeps!

We had to paint our address on their backs because they kept escaping onto the Purley Way!
That was in Croydon in Surrey when it still has an aerodrome!

It is raining again !

I sincerely hope the skep used to hibernate Heidi was suitably covered in cow dung...?
:biggrinjester:

Latest posts

Back