Top Dollar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much do you think shipping from Germany might be these days?
These days, shipping is not a possibility from many small European companies to individual buyers (thanks Brexit).
Still, T won't have been paying individual carriage prices and I doubt they paid retail for the products, so a good mark-up.

My original point was that the blog post has probably been 100% instrumental in the churner being sold out. Not to mention that DJE himself suggested to the company they market to England and gave them the names of popular suppliers.
How many people here had heard of this way of creaming honey in a single session, whereas this product has been used in Germany for over a decade.

:icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :smilielol5::smilielol5:
Just noticed that.... difficult font with someone of little or no intellect to understand.... perhaps?
Yes the place where all the grokells comes for their staycations... we call it Kernow!
Does that mean your target sales are in fact the grokels you so despise?? Shirley locals would only buy hunny from kernel Kernow?

These days, shipping is not a possibility from many small European companies to individual buyers (thanks Brexit).
Still, T won't have been paying individual carriage prices and I doubt they paid retail for the products, so a good mark-up.

My original point was that the blog post has probably been 100% instrumental in the churner being sold out. Not to mention that DJE himself suggested to the company they market to England and gave them the names of popular suppliers.
How many people here had heard of this way of creaming honey in a single session, whereas this product has been used in Germany for over a decade.

Creamed honey is akin to Thatcher's whipped ice cream....
looks more like lemon curd! :puke:

We produce soft set honey which is a c o m p l e t e l y different process as far as I can ascertain. The only stirring is when the seed honey is mixed with the bulk, bottled and then allowed to set at 14 degrees C, process can take a few weeks... in which time we play classical music to the soft setting honey... skaters waltz is a favorite!:music-smiley-023::music-smiley-023::music-smiley-023:

Yeghes da

Creamed honey is akin to Thatcher's whipped ice cream....
looks more like lemon curd! :puke:

We produce soft set honey which is a c o m p l e t e l y different process as far as I can ascertain. The only stirring is when the seed honey is mixed with the bulk, bottled and then allowed to set at 14 degrees C, process can take a few weeks... in which time we play classical music to the soft setting honey... skaters waltz is a favorite!:music-smiley-023::music-smiley-023::music-smiley-023:

Yeghes da
Well creamed honey can look a bit like lemon curd - luckily it still tastes like honey though!
So you only do a single stirring, not the full Dyce method?

Does that mean your target sales are in fact the grokels you so despise?? Shirley locals would only buy hunny from kernel Kernow?
We have a huge local market for our Honey..... grokkels only spend their money on ice cream and fun park rides... most have their groceries delivered by Morrisons et. al. to their Air B&B, holiday cottage or second home or bring it with them... sadly most only seem to leave behind litter, but take away memories of a very different Cornwall ( or Kernow if you prefer) than the folk who live and work here have the pleasure of experiencing the real thing!

Well creamed honey can look a bit like lemon curd - luckily it still tastes like honey though!
So you only do a single stirring, not the full Dyce method?

As above...I think this was a video made by Rooftops who moved to Modbury in Devon from Kingsbridge a few years ago... and then gave up beekeeping.

Despite the mentioned of (Creamed) honey in the youtube title....
there is a country mile of difference between a well made soft set honey and the machine made beaten to a consistency of lemon curd abomination of "creamed" that some people peddle!

I'm about to find out. Just ordered an II kit which I thought was coming from Carlisle but is being shipped from Portugal. Due for delivery by UPS on Friday.
Our Sublimox unit sent to Italy for repair has so far been four weeks in the hands of UPS... do get lots of email about delays due to Brexit and Covid restrictions.....

My No.1 son left for Monte Carlo this morning to bring back a vintage Bentley to the UK... has 72 hours to do it in... hope it does not break down or he will be stuck in France... and he hates garlic!!
Apparently has to produce a negative LFD test before entry into the UK

UPS seems to be a bit of an issue at the moment. My husband works for a global company based in Germany. They haven't been able to get their deliveries here using UPS because of 'Brexit'. They have switched to a different service and lo and behold deliveries are arriving from them.

As above...I think this was a video made by Rooftops who moved to Modbury in Devon from Kingsbridge a few years ago... and then gave up beekeeping.

Despite the mentioned of (Creamed) honey in the youtube title....
there is a country mile of difference between a well made soft set honey and the machine made beaten to a consistency of lemon curd abomination of "creamed" that some people peddle!

I had to make some toast after watching this video!

So is the view that a spiral mixer is better than using the 'honey churner'?

How do people keep their honey warm? Currently I only have a home brew heat mat - is that sufficient? I guess I need an insulated box to help hold the heat in too.

Yeghes da
"Raw, Serenaded Honey" :)

So is the view that a spiral mixer is better than using the 'honey churner'?

How do people keep their honey warm? Currently I only have a home brew heat mat - is that sufficient? I guess I need an insulated box to help hold the heat in too.
A mixer is a mixer as long as it does not introduce air. I have a home made one which goes in my cordless drill.
Doubt whether a heat mat has sufficient wattage. I use a decommissioned fridge a tube heater and an independent thermostat. Takes two buckets at a time.

A mixer is a mixer as long as it does not introduce air. I have a home made one which goes in my cordless drill.
The difference with the 'churner' is that the honey is pounded to a cream rather than just stirred. So the honey doesn't have to be liquid to start with.

A cordless drill is unlikely to be powerful enough for the force needed to get through an average bucket of honey that's been left to crystallise.

We have a huge local market for our Honey..... grokkels only spend their money on ice cream and fun park rides... most have their groceries delivered by Morrisons et. al. to their Air B&B, holiday cottage or second home or bring it with them... sadly most only seem to leave behind litter, but take away memories of a very different Cornwall ( or Kernow if you prefer) than the folk who live and work here have the pleasure of experiencing the real thing!

Hoppy, from your stories of yesteryear it appears that you hail from deepest darkest Surrey. Doesn't that make you a grokkel as well, or have you passed the residency test?? :ROFLMAO:

Agree about USP causing problems with shipping, but others have delays as well. Not just EU, but US as well. As for testing in and out of the country when travelling, a former colleague who used to weekly commute to Brussels has given that up due to the £140 a time costs for tests. As he cant work from home he's been in Brussels for last 7 weeks. Rather nice if everything is open, currently dull and boring

The difference with the 'churner' is that the honey is pounded to a cream rather than just stirred. So the honey doesn't have to be liquid to start with.

A cordless drill is unlikely to be powerful enough for the force needed to get through an average bucket of honey that's been left to crystallise.
No. You need 100 watts

Hoppy, from your stories of yesteryear it appears that you hail from deepest darkest Surrey. Doesn't that make you a grokkel as well, or have you passed the residency test?? :ROFLMAO:

Agree about USP causing problems with shipping, but others have delays as well. Not just EU, but US as well. As for testing in and out of the country when travelling, a former colleague who used to weekly commute to Brussels has given that up due to the £140 a time costs for tests. As he cant work from home he's been in Brussels for last 7 weeks. Rather nice if everything is open, currently dull and boring

No I went through the emmet stage moving to Devon..... now I am proud to live in Cornwall with a Cornish family... my children can swear fluently in Cornish.... and with their friends speak a dialect I have trouble in understanding!
The other side of the family were Welsh Primitive Methodists... my mother now 98 still converses in Welsh with her cousins and my granddaughter who lives on the isle of mad!

So my genetics like my bees are Celtic!!

I also have a cousin Jack in Canada..... I think his forebears got lost in the fog fishing out of Newlyn!

Fathers Aunt lived in Liskeard and when we traveled down from Wallington in Surrey we had to take the ferry across the Tamar!
Now they have a bridge at Saltash ... costs £2.50 to get out!!!

Chons da

Latest posts

Back