Top Dollar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One would think the BBKA would promote something like a "British Local Honey mark" to distinguish small beekeeper apiary jarred honey from "more commercial" offerings
That sounds a bit complicated for the BBKA. Maybe start with something simple like a p!$$ up in a brewery! :ROFLMAO:

That sounds a bit complicated for the BBKA. Maybe start with something simple like a p!$$ up in a brewery! :ROFLMAO:
I think it has been mentioned before - a great idea not disimilar to the British tractor for meat etc. No need for the BBKA to do. Just someone to order the labels and flog on The BFA have tamper seals.

One would think the BBKA would promote something like a "British Local Honey mark" to distinguish small beekeeper apiary jarred honey from "more commercial" offerings
Regardless of the BBKA I like the idea ~ did the red lion mark on eggs work ? granted its reintroduction was to do with salmonella vaccinated poultry but it did give buyers confidence. Buying british and local could be a significant sales promo?

I would have thought that my name and address on the label would convince most people that my honey is local.

The involvement of the BBKA is a non-starter.

The BFA is a structured organisation which is not easy to join: proof is needed of a beekeeper's professional approach and agreement to work to a code; applicants are vetted; way down the line the beefarmer buys the BFA jar stickers.

BBKA? Anyone can join for £30 or so, could snap up BBKA Buy British, buy Local stickers, import a tonne of nonsense and take the money at an upmarket farmers' market. Happens already, even without membership or the stickers.

The BBKA do not have the remit, staff, money, will or wisdom to act to promote local honey - plenty of woolly words, perhaps - but no understanding of marketing or the drive needed to establish or regulate such a system.

Last edited:
Simply pushing the local aspect is enough IMHO. I tell my customers, and vendors (given a display notice) where, within reason, the apiaries that supply their honey are.
My son is an SEO expert and 'local honey' is one of the most relevant search terms for us on Google. Raw is there on the list, but is not searched as much as you would suspect. 'Cheap local honey' is nowhere be seen as a search term.
I think if I lived in a village and was the sole purveyor of honey in that area I would be pushing that aspect ... I live in town ... there are already at least three local beekeepers using the name Fareham Honey, one who is significantly below my price point. A number of beekeepers promote Hampshire Honey ... and Just off the Avenue in Fareham honey does not quite have the ring to it I would like ...

Rock and a hard place I reckon ...

I would have thought that my name and address on the label would convince most people that my honey is local.

Especially if you offer to show the doubters your hives..

:icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :smilielol5::smilielol5:
Just noticed that.... difficult font with someone of little or no intellect to understand.... perhaps?
Yes the place where all the grokells comes for their staycations... we call it Kernow!

That would imply that the average BBKA member understands how to process honey within the law.
A bit of a stretch.

The article also had me spending £60 at Thorne 😬

You must have got the last one!
Maybe DJE deserves a cut of the profits from T's sales of the churner?? Them suddenly selling out just after he's blogged about the product with high praise is a bit of a coincidence!😉

Their added margin is not inconsiderable either. (The original retailer sold at €45.95 which converts to £39.71.)

Yes because they have a really good history of endorsing products😉

Maybe DJE deserves a cut of the profits from T's sales of the churner?? Them suddenly selling out just after he's blogged about the product with high praise is a bit of a coincidence!😉

Their added margin is not inconsiderable either. (The original retailer sold at €45.95 which converts to £39.71.)
How much do you think shipping from Germany might be these days?

Latest posts

Back