Top bar hive question.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Well, been here less than 30 minutes and here comes the first new boy question so sorry!

I am looking to build a top bar hive in the not too distant future ready to get some bees for next spring. Having looked at the 'stacking' hives (forgotten the name of that one already sorry!) they have a mesh between the main box and the box above where the 'overflow' honey goes to stop the queen using it.

After watching a few videos online about constructing the TBH I can't see how you would keep the queen out of some of the top bars so I can pinch the honey to eat (no question about it, I love honey and eating 'home made' out of the garden appeals to me :))

I am guessing that due to the design there is no need for the mesh divider but how would someone like me (a near clueless newbie) know what part of the comb I can eat without making queenie unhappy at me for eating her babies!!

Sorry again for the newbie questions,

Ryan :)

As far as I'm aware (newbee) top bar hives are just for bees to live in and not to produce honey, you need a national on WBC etc to extract honey from a hive.

As far as I'm aware (newbee) top bar hives are just for bees to live in and not to produce honey, you need a national on WBC etc to extract honey from a hive.

Mmm, thats not so good then. Must admit I did only assume that after watching this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFjk48NZwqs[/ame]

Welsh Paul is telling porkies!
Top bar hives don't use queen excluders at all, the queen is free to roam wherever she chooses - you'll soon learn what is sensible to remove and what isn't!
The truth of the matter is that you can indeed harvest honey, just as you can any other hive, but most top bar users put the bees' welfare first, honey harvest second, and tend not to remove all the honey, but to leave them with adequate stores to last the winter, rather than nicking the lot and replacing it with sugar water............ I tend to take a bar or two of honeycomb "when they can spare it". If you want honey yield above all else you'll probably do better with a Langstroth derivative, but if you want to keep bees in a low-tech, sustainable and low interference way that doesn't cost a fortune, top bar hives are fine, and will probably provide all the honey you and your family will need...

I'd suggest obtaining a copy of Phil Chandler's excellent book "The Barefoot Beekeeper" in which all is explained - he also supplies downloadable free plans to build them!

Last edited:
Welsh Paul is telling porkies!
Top bar hives don't use queen excluders at all, the queen is free to roam wherever she chooses - you'll soon learn what is sensible to remove and what isn't!
The truth of the matter is that you can indeed harvest honey, just as you can any other hive, but most top bar users put the bees' welfare first, honey harvest second, and tend not to remove all the honey, but to leave them with adequate stores to last the winter, rather than nicking the lot and replacing it with sugar water............ I tend to take a bar or two of honeycomb "when they can spare it". If you want honey yield above all else you'll probably do better with a Langstroth derivative, but if you want to keep bees in a low-tech, sustainable and low interference way that doesn't cost a fortune, top bar hives are fine, and will probably provide all the honey you and your family will need...

Thanks for the reply - to be honest, I am not going to be cracking the whip over the little blighters shouting 'give me honey!' - if I get a jar now and again I will be happy. Is something like a jar every couple of weeks realistic in a top bar hive?

I like the way you say I will learn what I can eat and I can't, is it if it crunches don't eat any more type of a learning curve?? ;)

Thanks again for the posts!

I am guessing that due to the design there is no need for the mesh divider but how would someone like me (a near clueless newbie) know what part of the comb I can eat without making queenie unhappy at me for eating her babies!!

You can get queen excluders for TBHs but I don't know of anyone that uses one. You should never eat the queens babies (unless that's what you are in to!). The combs with stores should be filled with honey only and are on the outside of the brood nest. If you're serious about TBHs then PM me and I can suggest some other forums that may help you.

I'll assume that this was said with tounge firmly planted in cheek. Of course you can get honey from a TBH. Just search on YT video for "top bar hive honey harvest".

Bobster

Ahhh wasn't telling porkies, that's why I said I was a newbee, that's what I thought, didn't realise you could extract from them.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.666950,-3.017429

You can get queen excluders for TBHs but I don't know of anyone that uses one. You should never eat the queens babies (unless that's what you are in to!). The combs with stores should be filled with honey only and are on the outside of the brood nest. If you're serious about TBHs then PM me and I can suggest some other forums that may help you.

Thanks Bobster - will send you a PM shortly :)

WP, if that's the worst you've heard about top bar hives, and those who use them, you're doing well :biggrinjester:

There are some who will tell you they are the work of the very devil, will give you warts and your firstborn shall be cursed, yea unto the 98th generation......
And that people like me who use them are the spawn of Beelzebub incarnate - (hides cloven hoof under table.......) :biggrinjester:

Lol not heard anyone tell me bad things about them.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.666950,-3.017429

Time maybee, for a top bar hive section.......................... Admin?

Latest posts

Back