Too late to split?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomB

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Hi,

My lone hive looks to be doing really well, the brood chamber is very busy and the super is filling up.

I have enough equipment for a second hive so I'm wanting to split the first (thinking I might then have two hives next year and less chance of a swarm this year!) Can I ask:

• Is it too late in the season to split?
  • I want the second hive in the same location, do I have to move it two miles away first?

Thanks for any help!

The Demaree Method to raise a few queens then split or make a nuc and buy a queen

Don't think you have to move them if you do an AS.

Thanks!

I'm not so keen to buy a new Queen, am hoping to just raise new. The hive I've got is very productive so I'm hoping to pass those genes on if I can!

I haven't got any quantity of foundation in the new brood chamber's frames; might be able to add a few small strips.

As I say, I'm hoping this split will stop the original hive swarming but if the frames I put back in are not already drawn out does that mean the original queen might not have enough places to lay and will end up swarming anyway. Or even sooner than she would have!?

Latest posts

Back