Failed Queen from late superceedure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floyd

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 National
Morning Guys,

Had an opportunity to have a look in both hives yesterday, as it got to a rather pleasant 13 degrees after lunch.

First hive, is progressing well, brood and eggs over 5 frames. Lots of stores

Second Hive, no sign of eggs or queen, bees over 4 frames.

Should I leave this hive alone and see whether, she is there and starting late, buy in a new queen, or simply unite the hive with hive 1, so I can split again in a few weeks.

Many thanks and have a good day

Lee

Morning Guys,

Had an opportunity to have a look in both hives yesterday, as it got to a rather pleasant 13 degrees after lunch.

First hive, is progressing well, brood and eggs over 5 frames. Lots of stores

Second Hive, no sign of eggs or queen, bees over 4 frames.

Should I leave this hive alone and see whether, she is there and starting late, buy in a new queen, or simply unite the hive with hive 1, so I can split again in a few weeks.

Many thanks and have a good day

Lee
If you are going to unite, I would double and triple check a) to make sure there isn't a queen, b) you don't have laying workers. If either are present your uniting will fail and your good queen likely to be killed.

leave this hive alone and see whether, she is there and starting late, buy in a new queen, or simply unite the hive with hive 1
Find the queen! 🙂

She's a dud and is in there mooching around and laying nothing. If so, kill her and shake out the bees on a flying day; they'll join the Q+ colony and give a boost, but as they're winter bees, the boost will be temporary.

If there is a Q but you can't find her or you have the beginnings of laying workers, adding an expensive bought Q will be a waste, as they'll kill her.

When your Q+ colony is v strong you could take advantage and split to return to two colonies.

Last edited:
If you find the queen why shake out? Squash her and pop the brood box over a sheet of newspaper (or use air freshener ) on top of the other colony

Latest posts

Back