Relocating hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brinicombe.p

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am planning on relocating my bees to a sunnier part of the garden, can this be done late winter without having to move them miles away first?
Also I plan to move them from a National hive to a Top Bar hive and would appreciate any tips or advice.

I am planning on relocating my bees to a sunnier part of the garden, can this be done late winter without having to move them miles away first?
yes, moved some of mine a few days ago, they never stirred
Also I plan to move them from a National hive to a Top Bar hive
when you say 'sunnier spot' I didn't realise you meant sub Saharan Africa
If not, don't

Top bar beekeeping is a whole new ball game. After a few years handling Nationals I built a TBH. Taught me a lot extra about bees and management that I would not otherwise have acquired. I started it off using " chop and crop" of National frames. It was an interesting few years, but produced little honey. I got fed up with it and converted it to take National frames. Give it a try if you like, but why do you want to?

Also I plan to move them from a National hive to a Top Bar hive and would appreciate any tips or advice.
Rather than going to a top bar ... if there is a reason for going to a horizontal hive .., think seriously about a framed long deep hive ... much easier to handle than top bar hives and more successful in many ways.

You have your answer to moving .. pick a cold spell when they willl be confined for a few days and move them,

Thank you for your help, The reasons for trying the horizontal long hive is that I have not had much success with my bees in the National hive and another beekeeper suggested that I try a topbar hive which he uses quite successfully, I have also read good reports about it so decided to give it a go. I will still have a National to full back on.

Top bar hives are very good if you plan on taking no honey, which I doubt you are wanting to do. I would recommend you use 22 frame long hives instead. You can make these yourself as they are much simpler then standard national hives to make. The plus is that the frames are then compatible with your national hives. The management process would be the same as top bar hives. Just put a small starter strip of foundation at the top of a national brood frame and the bees would draw out the bottom of the frame the same as they would in a top bar hive. Moving from a standard national hive to a long hive is a very simple procedure as well, you just move the frames in.
Below is a picture of one of my friends 22 frame long hives. He has made a 22 frame super to go above the hive. Moving the super is a simple procedure you just take the frames out of the super to extract. You don't try to carry the whole 22 frame super with capped honey frames in all at once.

Attachments

• 294109709_565082568669665_2401431799154683141_n.jpg
    294109709_565082568669665_2401431799154683141_n.jpg
    728.4 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for your help, The reasons for trying the horizontal long hive is that I have not had much success with my bees in the National hive and another beekeeper suggested that I try a topbar hive which he uses quite successfully, I have also read good reports about it so decided to give it a go. I will still have a National to full back on.
i would stick with what you have. look at what you did wrong .or went wrong .

I realise that the problems I have had will not be solved by changing the my hive.
It is a horizontal long hive not a topbar hive that I will be moving my bees to, I didn't realise the difference.
I realise that I will get less honey but should still harvest enough for my family. I will get more wax.

Latest posts

Back