Too late to move hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivor Kemp

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I want to move four bee hives no more than 3 metres but into an old shed with part of the roof removed, which means the hives will be behind a 8 foot white wooden 'wall'.

Bees were flying yesterday and today so have I left this too late for this year and if not any tips for success?

Many thanks.

Either just move them gradually - three feet at the time or (remember it's only February) wait until the next cold snap :D

Sound advice.

I'd add a couple of things though.
- you can move them a little further if the hive moves "backwards", but maybe a bit less sideways (particularly in cool weather, with a risk the bees may chill before finding the door).
- and I'd avoid moving plural hives simultaneously, if they are quite near each other --- specifically, you don't want hive B moving to be close to (within 3 feet of) the spot newly vacated by hive A. Finding someone else's hive where yours used to be is a recipe for drifting bees, and strife.
On a similar theme, it wouldn't be a bad idea to ensure that the four neighbouring hives were given some bee-visible identification - there was another thread recently discussing appropriate colours and patterns.

Regarding "tips for success", are you aware of the standard tricks to help the bees reset their GPS? Keep under lockdown for 48 hours or so, the entrance part obstructed with (for example) a leafy branch and the new hive direction being different to the original facing -- all should help.
These are appropriate to the move-in-one, rather than the stepwise technique.

If, as I read it, you are moving these hives from their present position to the other side of a high wall, there may be problems. Needs thinking out very carefully, if that is the case.

Sound advice.

On a similar theme, it wouldn't be a bad idea to ensure that the four neighbouring hives were given some bee-visible identification

:iagree: that's why all my hives are numbered :D

But as itma says, the twiggy/leafy branch, board leant against the entrance etc. also helps

Many thanks all for some sound advice. I will wait for the next cold snap and mark hives accordingly.

Little bit worried about Oliver's post though:

If, as I read it, you are moving these hives from their present position to the other side of a high wall, there may be problems. Needs thinking out very carefully, if that is the case.

To be specific they are currently at the bottom of the garden facing the house. Behind them is an old wooden shed which was falling down anyway so I have cut a whole in the roof and want to move hives within this space. They will then be facing the other way round and behind the front wall of the old shed. This is an actual distance of about 3 to 4 feet.

The primary reason for this is that my boys tend to kick their footballs into the current apiary space and the bees tend to fly out sideways rather than upwards.

Little bit worried about Oliver's post though:

To be specific they are currently at the bottom of the garden facing the house. Behind them is an old wooden shed which was falling down anyway so I have cut a whole in the roof and want to move hives within this space. They will then be facing the other way round and behind the front wall of the old shed. This is an actual distance of about 3 to 4 feet.

Good spot by the tractor-owner!

The risk highlighted is that they find their way back 'home' to the wrong side of the wall.

I think during the next cold snap, I'd move all four to the side, beyond the end of the wall, and keep them in the same (familiar) position in relation to each other. And then wait until the bees are flying again, when I'd start 'inching' one at a time, to the other side of that wall and their final position.

Some might still advocate a single move during a short cold snap.
I don't think I'd be that brave with a (hopefully) short cold snap -- because the straight-line distance is so short.
Maybe I'm just cautious!

Thanks, although that is a little difficult because the shed 'wall' finishes at the side of the garden so there is no room to put all 4 hives in the position you suggest.

I think moving one at a time is the answer and watch and wait.

Yes, that way any returning bees would not be left 'high and dry', as long as you organise it properly.

Latest posts

Back