Newbie from Alaska

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKbuzz

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Wife and I are 1st year beekepers. We have 2 hives in the Matsu region of Alaska. We did a year preparing and then jumped in this spring.

Started out with 2 Alaska Honey Bee queens in packages on bare foundation. Both hives started out well and one is going strong. The other lost it's queen ( squished or rejected?) and so far the new queen is doing well but the hive is understandably lagging the other.

Here to read and learn.

Wife and I are 1st year beekepers. We have 2 hives in the Matsu region of Alaska. We did a year preparing and then jumped in this spring.

Started out with 2 Alaska Honey Bee queens in packages on bare foundation. Both hives started out well and one is going strong. The other lost it's queen ( squished or rejected?) and so far the new queen is doing well but the hive is understandably lagging the other.

Here to read and learn.
Whenever I complain that Ireland is cold, I must remember that there can be chillier places out there! I hope you share photos of your surroundings in due course. Looking forward to hearing how you get on :)

Welcome. Please share your beekeeping with us. Are you in the National Park? I always wanted to visit. The nearest I got was a drive from Whitehorse to Dawson City then across to a place called Tok then on to Anchorage. A lifetime ago.

Hi, welcome. look forward to hearing your news. This is becoming quite a world wide forum now

Hi. Are your summers hot and short? Similar to Scandinavia?

Welcome. Please share your beekeeping with us. Are you in the National Park? I always wanted to visit. The nearest I got was a drive from Whitehorse to Dawson City then across to a place called Tok then on to Anchorage. A lifetime ago.
No not in the Nat. Park.

We're about 50 miles North of Anchorage.

Have a cabin about another 150 miles north. Nice view of Denali. Someday might move hives up for the summer of I build a good tall stand to keep the bears away.

Whenever I complain that Ireland is cold, I must remember that there can be chillier places out there! I hope you share photos of your surroundings in due course. Looking forward to hearing how you get on :)
Not too terribly cold here once you're used to it. The short bit of sun we have is what gets hard on a person in winter.

Yes, Tok Junction. Was there in 1970. Hitchhiking to Alaska. As you say, a lifetime ago.

Latest posts

Back