Swarm control and a Breech birth Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seán_Lad

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all, new to the forum, I've only started beekeeping this year, and so far everything has been great, this past month has been dealing with a lot of swarm control as I'm sure many others here have also been dealing with the same. On an inspection this evening on a hive known to be currently Queen less, I noticed there was approx 5 or 6 capped Q cells. When breaking down the first one I just gently broke it off from the frame, and then I realised there queen was alive inside, she then began to reverse herself out of the Q cell and to my astonishment, she walked here way down the frame, seemingly unharmed and greeted by other bees. After seeing this I decided to break down the other capped Q cells. What is the viability of my breach birth new Queen?

Hi all, new to the forum, I've only started beekeeping this year, and so far everything has been great, this past month has been dealing with a lot of swarm control as I'm sure many others here have also been dealing with the same. On an inspection this evening on a hive known to be currently Queen less, I noticed there was approx 5 or 6 capped Q cells. When breaking down the first one I just gently broke it off from the frame, and then I realised there queen was alive inside, she then began to reverse herself out of the Q cell and to my astonishment, she walked here way down the frame, seemingly unharmed and greeted by other bees. After seeing this I decided to break down the other capped Q cells. What is the viability of my breach birth new Queen?
If she was able to walk away from the event, I’d say the chances are excellent.

it's the safest way to pull virgins out of queencells, remove QC and leave the virgin reverse out of the 'wrong' end of the cell, rather than risk damaging her by fiddling around trying to remove the cap

Back