Todays random question...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a child our milk was delivered by our milkman on a horse and cart and we would take a jug out for him to fill. I must be pretty old.
My grandfather was a cowkeeper in Sheffield in the late 1800s. He kept a couple of cows in a yard near where he lived and milked them daily. Probably the only way city people could get fresh milk. He also developed a talent for converting milk into beer.

I used to like the taste of sterilised milk on my cornflakes when we ran out of fresh milk ... My mum could never understand it. I don't think you can buy sterilised milk any more.

Oh yes you can ... But it's about twice the price of fresh milk ....

https://groceries.asda.com/product/long-life-milk/delamere-whole-milk/1000119739216
On the other hand, almost the entire market is UHT and it is more difficult to find fresh or pasteurized milk. In Galicia somewhat less as it is the tenth European region in milk production (2.9 million tons)

On the other hand, almost the entire market is UHT and it is more difficult to find fresh or pasteurized milk. In Galicia somewhat less as it is the tenth European region in milk production (2.9 million tons)
That's a lot of milk from a lot of cows with a lot of methane produced as well. I'd be worried about lighting my smoker in case the whole country went up in flames.

I wish we could go back to the old ways. I vaguely remember having milk delivered as a small child and it tasting much better. There weren't many American chains polluting society and killing off British culture and family businesses. I'd love to see high street butchers, veg, bakeries etc being the norm again with their good quality food being normal rather than the supermarkets selling quality food as 'extra special range' with bigger prices. So many standards have been purposefully dropped over the years for profit and sometimes it really gets me down. Todays quality of living for a lot of people is a result of this kind of greed. The past wasn't perfect and there were plenty of problems but I'm sure people were more relaxed, caring and smiled a bit more often.

I remember as a child getting milk from the shop opposite my grandparents that came with a crown cap rather than foil.

James
That will have been "steri" milk.....you#ve jogged amemory with me. :)

I wish we could go back to the old ways. I vaguely remember having milk delivered as a small child and it tasting much better. There weren't many American chains polluting society and killing off British culture and family businesses. I'd love to see high street butchers, veg, bakeries etc being the norm again with their good quality food being normal rather than the supermarkets selling quality food as 'extra special range' with bigger prices. So many standards have been purposefully dropped over the years for profit and sometimes it really gets me down. Todays quality of living for a lot of people is a result of this kind of greed. The past wasn't perfect and there were plenty of problems but I'm sure people were more relaxed, caring and smiled a bit more often.
It must be where you live. We still have a milk man that comes twice a week (farm eggs too) although it's a transit van now, rather than a horse and cart. A few farms that have vending machines and glass bottles, it's farm milk but the vending side of it seems to be a company that runs the chain. Then each farm has a selection of other items, such as eggs, butter, honey.

We also have a lady that delivers fish and game on Fridays and a village with two good butchers in it. No local fruit and veg though.

Here's a do you remember delivery? The soft drinks man? Lemonade, Limeade, Orangeade, cream soda, no cola as far as I can remember though. We had Corona.

A few farms that have vending machines and glass bottles, it's farm milk but the vending side of it seems to be a company that runs the chain.
Not around here, Beynons Goetre farm in Llangennech have quite a few vending machines and they run it all themselves
Here's a do you remember delivery? The soft drinks man? Lemonade, Limeade, Orangeade, cream soda, no cola as far as I can remember though. We had Corona.
We had two sellers around us - we always used Gareth Thomas (Corona) his daughter and I were born on the same day in our cottage hospital, as well as milk deliveries we had a mobile butcher, grocer, greengrocer, fishmonger, clothing and 'fancy goods' seller and the oil and cleaning goods man who rang a bell and shouted 'ooooil, parafeeen, parazooone as he drove around' a mobile chippy, and of course good old Jo Carpanini's ice cream van.

Corona Dandelion and Burdock was the best, they used to come once a week with the lorry and I would take the empties out and get a couple of bottles - a shilling for two as I recall with a penny deposit on the bottle. We had Corona and Hague's Pop ... the latter owned by WIlliam Hague's father.

It must be where you live. We still have a milk man that comes twice a week (farm eggs too) although it's a transit van now, rather than a horse and cart. A few farms that have vending machines and glass bottles, it's farm milk but the vending side of it seems to be a company that runs the chain. Then each farm has a selection of other items, such as eggs, butter, honey.

We also have a lady that delivers fish and game on Fridays and a village with two good butchers in it. No local fruit and veg though.

As a child and into my twenties I recall mobile shops and merchandise sellers touring the villages in the area. Farm milk deliveries from a churn on a handcart stopped when Tuberculosis Testing became the norm and Norther Dairies bottled milk was brought round daily by a milkman in a van. Mondays saw the Howden Coop traveller come to take grocery orders for delivery on Thursdays. Also on Mondays a traveller from Foster and Tetley a tailor and clothier from Goole would call to collect weekly credit purchase payments and to take orders for merchandise. He would also measure customers for a new suit as required. Tuesday and Thursday saw Walt Flint in his mobile shop which sold all manner of foodstuffs (and esso blue paraffin). Wednesday saw the bus to Goole via Howden which set off at 1.00 pm, returned at 4.30 to continue to a few more stops before reappearing around 5.30 for another run to Goole for evening cinema visits and last bus home to the village around 9.30 ish. A similar bus service ran on Saturdays. Any more bus contact required a walk or cycle ride to Howden where journeys to Hull, Selby or Google were available daily every couple of hours although the journey to Hull took a convoluted route and lasted ages. In between these services the village had a local shop and a post office. We had a works club and in the next village the Jolly Sailor public house which sold Hull Brewery libations.(real hangover inducing stuff)

I almost forgot - as well as our milkround, as we had a grocer's shop, we also delivered grocery orders for those that requested it. My father would pick up the orders whilst delivering milk (usually rolled up and pushed into one of the empty bottles) and my mother and aunty Eirwen (grandmother's sister) would box them all up for my father to deliver in the evenings. As we had a a small butchery as well (butchery is in the family so, once when my father had a long layoff from the buildings, he was given a crash butchery course by a relative, Clem Thomas the rugby international, who ran a big meat processing concern in Swansea) we would deliver meat as well as groceries and dairy products.

Back