Todays random question...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roche

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Out of nowhere, except possibly wondering about energy usage:

What, if anything, preceded aluminium foil for the tops on glass milk bottles?

I look to the collective knowledge of the forum for the answer to this arcane piece of trivia...

Out of nowhere, except possibly wondering about energy usage:

What, if anything, preceded aluminium foil for the tops on glass milk bottles?

I look to the collective knowledge of the forum for the answer to this arcane piece of trivia...

Attachments

• 952FAA0F-B4C7-4AA4-AF10-040DFEB4735B.jpeg
    952FAA0F-B4C7-4AA4-AF10-040DFEB4735B.jpeg
    751.7 KB · Views: 0
I remember as a child getting milk from the shop opposite my grandparents that came with a crown cap rather than foil.
That would have been sterilised milk - a few on my father's round (renote hill farmers) used to buy the occasional bottle

That would have been sterilised milk - a few on my father's round (renote hill farmers) used to buy the occasional bottle

That sounds entirely plausible. As I recall they didn't have a very big fridge, so the unopened bottles were kept in the cupboard under the kitchen sink.

James

Blue tits would be the best source of information on the pre-foil milk bottle tops. The other memory on the winter doorstop I have is the cream frozen with an inch of it pushed out of the bottle and the aluminium top perched on the cream!!

When I was a child our milk was delivered by our milkman on a horse and cart and we would take a jug out for him to fill. I must be pretty old.
My father started with a horse drawn milk float - although the milk was bottled (at my uncle's farm initially) I remember finding a box full of the foil bottle caps years ago in the loft above the stables. So that gives an idea of when foil caps were in use as my mother recalls in the big Feburary snows of 1968, as unigate dairies couldn't deliver the milk to us, my father, on my first birthday washing bottles and bottling milk in the kitchen and using the old foil caps from the farm to close them, and Moses finished bottling his own in the late fifties/early 1960's the caps would have predated then.

When I was a child our milk was delivered by our milkman on a horse and cart and we would take a jug out for him to fill. I must be pretty old.
Same here, with the added benefit of going out onto the road with bucket and shovel to scoop up dung for our allotment......

Latest posts

Back