To start now or not

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guisachan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I was wondering if anyone can offer an opinion on whether I should start a colony now and keep it going over winter or whether I should wait til next spring. I am only too aware that to date I have only done a one day intro course but I do have a couple who live close and are acting as mentors for me. I now regularly attend at both their apiaries for the weekly inspections and they have been brilliant in letting me have hands on experience. I have also joined my local association so have the back up from there.
Would I be better just to wait for next spring to take on a colony or try and get a nuc now and let it build up for the rest of the summer with a view to it having a good chance of producing a crop for next year.
I am hoping to attend the intro course run by my local association in February/march but that will be dependent on work.
Any advice gratefully received.

You'll probably pay more for a nuc in the spring than you would now, as people have to feed the bees through the winter. Hives still expanding very quickly now, so would probably build up to a good size colony before the winter. Plus it would be good practise and you have time for some more reading up during the winter.

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't start now, as long as it's a good quality, good sized, nuc.

Don't let yourself be fobbed off with a put-together nuc, or a recently captured cast swarm, and you (and they) should be okay.

If you start now you will already have half a years experience to your name by next spring,

Hi Guisachan,
With mentors on hand you may just as well start this year. I have very good experience with the swarms I collected 3 years ago. They are not swarmy and good tempered bees. You can ease yourself in gently with the average sized swarm and you have not lost a lot of money if you mess up!

Either do it NOW or by the time you get round to it then it will be too late and spring will be your only (sensible) option - you've done the right things so far and you have mentors. Your local association will be running a course over the winter I would think and you can join that and spend the winter reading and dreaming of honey crops next year.

There's not much going to happen (hopefully) between now and the end of the season so there's not a lot that can go wrong if you follow the 'getting ready for winter' procedures and as Beeno says you can ease in gently with what's left of this season and be totally prepared for next year :)icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2: !!).

Thanks everyone for your very positive feed back. Mentors said the same thing as well. Looks like it's at 2014 start line.

I got my colony on July 29th last year.Got it through the winter with no problem.
Like you, I have local mentors.
Mucked up a a/s,my hive re queened its self.Have taken of about 15lbs honey so far this season.
If you can cope with the stress/drama,go for it

I only set up my hive a month ago, and like you was in two minds about whether to go now or in the Spring. But in for a penny .... I went for and like already said, you'll get 6 months experience under your belt.

Believe me this beekeeping business is a steep learning curve.

Back