Finally getting started

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wattsy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
First started planning to get bees 10 years ago when I had my allotment but got put off by what felt like arbitrary rules made up by idiots (having insurance I fully understood but not having a BBKA basic assessment, how can I keep bees for 12 months to get that unless they let me keep bees?). Now I've got a course booked, a hive built, a nuc on order and just had a meet up with a friendly local farmer whos letting me use a corner of his field for an out apiary. Dead chuffed and can't wait to get started properly

Your new site is a better choice so think of the rules as pushing you in the best direction ;)

I 'dabbled' with bees on an allotment many years ago. private society so no silly rules. There were chickens on most and even ponies on three plots that were unfit to rent for growing. My mate in the adjoining plot had a swarm turn up and we caught them in an old sack.
There were some incidents and the bees soon became unwelcome.

First started planning to get bees 10 years ago when I had my allotment but got put off by what felt like arbitrary rules made up by idiots (having insurance I fully understood but not having a BBKA basic assessment, how can I keep bees for 12 months to get that unless they let me keep bees?). Now I've got a course booked, a hive built, a nuc on order and just had a meet up with a friendly local farmer whos letting me use a corner of his field for an out apiary. Dead chuffed and can't wait to get started properly
Ten years of “getting around to it” - about par for the course I’d say. 😜
I hope it all goes well for you.👍

Latest posts

Back