to insulate or not to insulate

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Derek,how did you waterproof that?

nothing
recticel doesnt seem to need it where as kingspan goes tatty.

I used my (cheapcheap) Celotex and painted it with surplus green Hammerite.. Blends in and it strengthens the material...

I have a roll of roof insulation. not expensive and goes a long way. Each hive has a thick layer, inside a black bin liner. Worked for me every year. Can save for next year too, keeping costs to minimum.

Mine was even cheaper as I dragged a complete unwrapped roll out of a builders skip.. amazing what they waste.

I have a roll of roof insulation. not expensive and goes a long way. Each hive has a thick layer, inside a black bin liner. Worked for me every year. Can save for next year too, keeping costs to minimum.

Mine was even cheaper as I dragged a complete unwrapped roll out of a builders skip.. amazing what they waste.

Good idea

Attic 'wool' (glass, rock, etc) insulation is about half has good an insulator as Celotex - so you only need about twice the thickness when choosing wool.
Since it can be shaped easily around feeders and into voids beyond dummy boards, it certainly is useful - but its not as good an insulator as a similar thickness of foil-faced insulation board of whatever brand.

Of course now I've confirmed Rosie is of the fairer sex I can say what I originally intended - find a local building site and flutter your eyelashes and obtains some celotex buckshee :D

Ha ha i went to a local building suppliers and told him what i needed and he gave it me for free (the kingspan i mean) provided i take in a jar of honey next year! what a nice bloke!

I just insulated my hives by adding one 1" pink foam sheet between the inner cover and the telescoping lid. I also strapped 4 pieces of foam around the box/boxes.

Will not win me any home improvement awards, but my yards are not visible to the neighbors, anyways.

You can see the pictures on my blog

Latest posts

Back