To combine, or not to combine?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alynewbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I did an AS on my only colony a while back, the young queen bit of it is doing spectacularly well, the old queen bit not so good now. I'm thinking of combining but a little concerned that if I do then together they will be too big for the 14x12 box I'm putting them into. The new queen is in a standard national, the old queen in 14 x 12 (long story as to how I ended up like that). Next year I'd like to have two colonies on 14x12 and I have to return the national brood box as I borrowed it. I'm not sure the current old queen colony is big enough to make it through the winter and although they did show signs of supercedure a few weeks ago, they changed their minds. I'd really appreciate any pearls of wisdom (or bitter experience) you could give me. Many thanks.
Alyson

Lets think about the sizes. A 14 x12 is about 1 1/2 deeps. If your 'old colony is only on 1/3 of the 14 x 12, the deep should fit.

Bear in mind that while, and after, uniting there will be two boxes together for a period(three weeks, and some, for the unite and to get her into the main brood and then three weeks for brood to emerge from the redundant box?). With a contracting brood, they will likely fit OK in about a month's time.

Regards, RAB

At this time of year the size of your colonies will gradually start to decline. It may seem a bit of a tight squeeze at first but 14x12 has easily enough space for any wintering colony...

After uniting, make sure that your large colony has enough stores - that large colony will probs need a full 14x12 box to ensure survival.

Ben P

Latest posts

Back