Time to protect against wasp attack?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlievictorbravo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 - 14x12
This summer, I have seen very few wasps but many, many bumble bees – maybe the damp and long winter had an adverse effect on the wasp population. The question is, should I install entrance restrictions in anticipation of an August wasp attack or wait until the hazard actually occurs or do nothing?
I have an open mesh floor in my active hive, which contains a swarm I took on 1 June and which is developing nicely.
Should the consensus be for entrance restrictions, should I go for one bee-space, two, three? I have some dense foam that I can fix securely in place and would be able to shape the entrance through this such that bees (and wasps) would be funneled into a narrow, easily defended pinch-point.
So, one, two or more bee-spaces at the pinch-point?

I cannot believe how little this year I've spotted wasps, not complaining tho :D.

I did see my first HUGE hornet yesterday tho.

I put a trap for hornets by the hives and got full bottles of moths ( I think also wax moths..)

Seen wasps the past 2 weeks, not trying to get into the hives, mopping up dead bees from around and about, and one hive is dumping drones outside which are pounced on by the wasps. I'll put the entrance reducer back in if I see any wasps trying to sneak in.

Only seen one wasp this year and that was on the ground outside the hive with three of my girls giving it a right seeing to ... I didn't stay around till it was over but I reckon the wasp lost ... not too worried at present !

I've seen a few wasps in the last week or two - some taking dead bees and others sniffing around the joins in the hives.

Ive got a wasp nest in my allotment shed, about 5ft from my hive.
Keeping a close eye on them, any suggestions how to despatch them ?
Guessing wasp killer is a big NO NO ......

Personally I am missing the wasps and the sooner they are back to strength the better.

Ive got a wasp nest in my allotment shed, about 5ft from my hive.
Keeping a close eye on them, any suggestions how to despatch them ?
Guessing wasp killer is a big NO NO ......

Trigger spray set to jet and containing diesel oil (derv). Spray the nest well and retire from the scene. QED

Have to be extra careful with Wasps Attack!

Getting rid of wasps must be done in a natural, chemical-free method that will not risk our family.

:hurray:

With effective wasps control repellent, we will able to let children and pets outside to play without worrying about painful and sometimes fatal wasp stings.

Getting rid of wasps must be done in a natural, chemical-free method that will not risk our family.

:hurray:

With effective wasps control repellent, we will able to let children and pets outside to play without worrying about painful and sometimes fatal wasp stings.

Do you have particularly dangerous wasps in Australia?

Chris

Latest posts

Back