Colony shake out mess up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I could do with some advice re the above. The situation:
Really big colony on brood and a half plus three supers.
31st May found queen cells, did AS leaving one.
June 7th found queen cell with the hinged base open - assumed queen had emerged.
Since then, no evidence of eggs or queen activity.
Waited but nothing, so tried frame eggs and young larvae - no cells made. Couldn’t find a queen.
Waited, colony numbers diminishing, still could find no queen.
Introduced bought in queen - failure, no sign of her. RIP
End July - Colony still big in numbers but under attack from wasps, defending well
Last week, inspected, no evidence of queen but not laying workers, removed two supers.
Today wasps had penetrated defences with much fighting, so shook out in front of other hives.
Two hours later....ended with a heap of about 500 bees - I dug around and saw a queen. Small and black just a little larger than a worker, I’m assuming an unmated virgin, the cause of all the issues. Tried squishing and missed!
Then the skies opened. Try as I might I couldn’t find her again.
Didn’t want the attendants to die or the queen to enter another hive with so many attendants, so put them in a super at the end of the apiary for safe keeping overnight.

A) would the queen enter another hive and cause trouble?
B) will so many additional bees added to the other colonies, with supers recently removed cause a space issue? I’m adding back wet supers tomorrow for cleaning.
C) are there any tips for shaking out successfully- the apiary sounded like a swarm for an hour or so? Much confusion.
D) can an influx of bees into another hive this time of year be interpreted as robbing and result in fighting?
E) after an overnighter in the hives will the shaken bees be fully integrated tomorrow?

Sorry it’s so lengthy but I know you experienced bods shake out as a matter of course - this was my first.
Thanks in anticipation,
Poot

so your problem is/was you had a dud queen who never mated, thus the failed test frame and queen introduction. yes, the first few minutes/half hour after the shakeout sounds manic but is not a problem.
For future reference - If I suspect a dud queen issue when shaking out, I shake them a little further from the hives (only ten, twenty feet away) and not in front of the hives, ideally into some shrubbery or long grass, yes, you will get some workers who will cluster around the queen but usually most drift away just leaving a handful with her, being a callous bugger I leave them. I wouldn't worry about the space issue for such a short period.
By tomorrow the bees will be fully settled.

so your problem is/was you had a dud queen who never mated, thus the failed test frame and queen introduction. yes, the first few minutes/half hour after the shakeout sounds manic but is not a problem.
For future reference - If I suspect a dud queen issue when shaking out, I shake them a little further from the hives (only ten, twenty feet away) and not in front of the hives, ideally into some shrubbery or long grass, yes, you will get some workers who will cluster around the queen but usually most drift away just leaving a handful with her, being a callous bugger I leave them. I wouldn't worry about the space issue for such a short period.
By tomorrow the bees will be fully settled.
Thanks Jenks😊

My mate did the same with a large colony last week. Similar scenario with half an hour of confusion before they settled with still a bunch on the outside of the chosen hive, fanning. Soon after, peace was restored.

Latest posts

Back