Time to change our tune?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hay allergia is not a epidemia thing.

I think that each people must take care themselves, whis things cause allergy to them. The are so much all kind of food stuffs which make allergy: cats, birds, docs, carrots, nuts, fish, eggs, whisky, flowers. Towars old age allergies become weaker.
It's not just allergies that become weaker. 😨

Hay fever is a collective term for an allergic reaction to pollen - sadly, it is not confined to pollen from grasses.. My hay fever starts with the early tree blossom - Horse chestnut trees are the worst and it follows on with other types of flora throughout the spring and summer. I've suffered since I was about 15 and it really is debilitating - at the worst times the symptoms are more like asthma, my eyes are irritated, I sneeze prolifically and my nose runs constantly, I'm lethargic - pure misery. I could never get along with Piriton - it just puts me to sleep - and I live with a daily dose of Loratadine during the hay fever season (in my case basically most of spring and summer). On its own it provides some relief but it's not a complete cure. However, since I've been eating my own honey, alongside the tablets, I've found the symptoms are noticeably reduced. I've experimented - leaving out the honey - it gets worse, leaving out the Loratadine - it also gets worse, leaving both out and I can barely function on some days.

I don't know whether it's a placebo effect - I could try some control experiments and get my wife to substitute Tesco own label honey and a sugar pill in place of the anti histamines as a blind test - Can I be bothered ? It works for me, I see the benefits and I'm happy to accept that the combination of the two makes my life with hay fever liveable.

I have a lot of customers who are convinced that my local honey has an effect on their hay fever - when I am asked I tell people that it works for a lot of people and the only way to find out is to try it and see - but there's no guarantee.

There is no cure for hay fever - but in the worst cases immunotherapy is possible - where small quantities of pollen are injected into the person on a regular basis - building up immunity to some degree and perhaps the pollen found in local honey is having a similar effect - who knows ? There's apparently no appetite for any formal medical testing .. and probably never will be.
Just think how much the pharmaceuticals make each year from 'allergy' suppressants! you think they'd advise you to use local honey to see if it works ?

Latest posts

Back