Thoughts on Mead as a drink.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Younger than I look. From Solihull West Midlands
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Following on from the recently started "Making Mead as another hobby" thread I thought i would pose a question to our forum community.

I have, for a few years, posed the below question to Mead class Exhibiters and Judges at Honey Shows.

Q: If Mead was any good as a drink you would be able to purchase at supermarkets, but you can't.

So is Mead a quirky niche drink for Appiarists or a missed market.

Considering the companies who make mead, they cannot compete with the volume the wine industry produce and would not be able to supply supermarkets up and down the country to a volume they would require throughout the year.

If you go to local country markets you often find it. It is a niche drink. Personally I like it when it has been sweetened after fermentation. Dry mead is like petrol😜

Considering the companies who make mead, they cannot compete with the volume the wine industry produce and would not be able to supply supermarkets up and down the country to a volume they would require throughout the year.
Nothing stopping Inbev or Molson Coors from making at scale though.

All I see on their website are beers and cider and brewery tours

It's possible they're branded differently or deliberately kept separate in case that side of the operation turns out to be a disaster, I guess. I could see some spirits fitting with the brand more easily than wine, certainly.

James

It's possible they're branded differently or deliberately kept separate in case that side of the operation turns out to be a disaster, I guess. I could see some spirits fitting with the brand more easily than wine, certainly.

James
All I can find from their blog are Movo wine spritzers dating back to 2019 and a launch of cocktails. They are not really into wine production for now. I'd say they want a fast turnover and the production of wine is a slower process than beers.

I have a demijohn of mead on my garage window ledge, that’s still fermenting (albeit very slowly now) after two years since making it. I tried some in wasp traps in the Summer, but they refused it. Too scared I think. I’m just waiting on the drains to block, then it might be useful.

I bought some sparkling mead in 330ml bottles about 5 years ago while wandering around Kew gardens on a day out. It was very pleasant drink on a hot sunny day. Not really like any (real) mead I have tried before. A modern take on mead I guess.
Cant remember what it was called and just looked in the Kew online shop and its not there, so I guess they probably no longer make it?

Latest posts

Back