Thornes oxalic/thymol mixup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
For those not on Big T's emailling list - they mixed up some thymol and oxalic crystals :

Attachments

• big t mixup.jpg
    big t mixup.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 54
For those not on Big T's emailling list - they mixed up some thymol and oxalic crystals :

Yes I’ve been watching the conflagration on Facebook. Bloomin stupid! As if you couldn’t tell!
Some poor girl has vaped her bees with it already. No redress either as you’re not allowed to vape with oxalic either.

Yes I’ve been watching the conflagration on Facebook. Bloomin stupid! As if you couldn’t tell!
Some poor girl has vaped her bees with it already. No redress either as you’re not allowed to vape with oxalic either.

What do you vape with then? Surely Api bioxal is Oxalic by another name? Not being argumentative i'm new to this hobby and trying to get my head around what is what and what is best.

Last edited:
What do you vape with then? Surely Api bioxal is Oxalic by another name? Not being argumentative i'm new to this hobby and trying to get my head around what is what and what is best.

Api bioxal is oxalic acid and other stuff that goos up your vaper and pushes the price through the roof.

Has this "girl" been in touch with us? If not, please ask her to.

Gill @ thornes

Has this "girl" been in touch with us? If not, please ask her to.

Gill @ thornes

No malice intended gill, I meant the girl was daft. Sorry if it looked this way. I still don’t know how she couldn’t tell. Yes she said she had been in touch with you but didn’t name the company.

Last edited:

You are not allowed to vape with generic oxalic and thorne do not sell it for that purpose either.

OK, I know who you mean then. She is a very nice lady.

[Generic] Oxalic acid crystals have been used (but not licensed by the Vetinary Medicines Directorate of DEFRA), for trickling or vaping for many years at home and abroad. Oxalic acid occurs widely in nature (e.g. spinach and rhubarb leaves, and combined with calcium = kidney stones). The crystals are also used for cleaning boats and garden furniture and thus widely available.
A year or so ago a company combined the generic crystals with a sugar = Apibioxal and this was approved by the VMD.
I feel somewhat aggrieved that a cheap and useful treatment, generic oxalic acid crystals, have suddenly become illegal - see readers' letters October BBKA News. :rant:

[Generic] Oxalic acid crystals have been used (but not licensed by the Vetinary Medicines Directorate of DEFRA), for trickling or vaping for many years at home and abroad. Oxalic acid occurs widely in nature (e.g. spinach and rhubarb leaves, and combined with calcium = kidney stones). The crystals are also used for cleaning boats and garden furniture and thus widely available.
A year or so ago a company combined the generic crystals with a sugar = Apibioxal and this was approved by the VMD.
I feel somewhat aggrieved that a cheap and useful treatment, generic oxalic acid crystals, have suddenly become illegal - see readers' letters October BBKA News. :rant:
Thanks very much for your detailed reply. I now understand whats going on, I was confused as I read the ingredients of Api Bioxal. However a rule is a rule! To quote the great Douglas Bader "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men." The only problem is Im neither brave or clever enough to know when to be guided so I just follow the rules Lol.

The great Bader once gave a talk at Rottindean Girl's school - he said (and I quote) "and there I was - one of the f*ckers to my left, Three f*ckers to my right and two of the f*ckers to the rear" The teacher was getting more agitated by the second and piped up "ladies - the Focker was a widely used fighter aircraft used by the Germans during the war"
"I know that" said Bader - "but the f*ckers were flying Messerschmidts!"

JKB

LOl.LOL. going to have to tell that one to the father in law

Jerks

Just splurted my Cocoa all over the quilt. Cheers good one.

Latest posts

Back