This weeks weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Make the most of it ... High pressure over the UK for the next few days and well into next week ... the Jetstream is holding the high pressure above us and keeping the low pressure out in the Atlantic.

So .. high pressure autumn weather for the UK .. misty mornings and sunny afternoons. Perfick autumn beekeeping weather ... but ... it ain't gonna last - some massive storms in the Pacific are disturbing the upper atmosphere and the forecasters are not sure what effect it will have on the Jetstream ... best get your seaweed and pine cones out to see what it will be like after Wednesday !

Now ... where's Roola ???

Yes....I've been keeping a weatherly eye.
I have one unite to sort, which I am doing today, and a final look through brood boxes, then that's it apart from feed and treat. No more opening till spring....Where's this year gone!

Oh....and husband has field to cut.

Yes, all harvested, super under brood, QE out. What they bring in now is for them.
Got a few hundred pounds of honey so am content with my share.

But very minimal varroa drop so am taking the risk of no treatment till Dec sublimation. Interesting exercise :spy:

Yes, all harvested, super under brood, QE out. What they bring in now is for them.
Got a few hundred pounds of honey so am content with my share.

But very minimal varroa drop so am taking the risk of no treatment till Dec sublimation. Interesting exercise :spy:

Yes... am tempted, likewise . Scenario, they look so healthy as well with no K wing or any other signs of affliction, as well as minimum varroa drop.

A gamble though, might in the end do what I did last year, which resulted in no winter losses, went into winter with 4 colonies and came out with 4.

1 MAQS strip per hive and Oxalllic dribble in January. Have to say the Oxallic for me was hugely sucessfull. Large number of mites dropped.

I know lots will say " you must go by the instructions and use 2 strips ( MAQS ) " but not so sure , plenty of accounts of queen problems when using two and, as it worked last year... although as at start... tempted to eave untreated too , heard accounts on here also of successful experiences.

Last edited:
Gosh! That seems early, ericA!

Dusty

There may be ghost bees aplenty but they are not bringing that much in so supers are off. Of the four left on I have three quarters of one to spin off but the other three are now nadired as they weren't worth much.
Ivy is still maybe three weeks off if not longer.
I'm starting treatment on Sunday (Last year it was only a week later)
I won't necessarily feed yet, it depends on what I find this afternoon and If I need to it will only be a little while I assess the ivy flow to come.
Anything else they bring in is theirs.

No honey, no autumn flow, no sun, no warmth but...... Loads of bees and winter feeding already!
E

been a terrible season in this part of thecountry, very little spring flow from rape ect with only a slight flow towards the end of July. Bees that I have on the heather will have another week a think then bringing them back. Started feeding today been a cold wet week.

I won't necessarily feed yet, it depends on what I find this afternoon
Well......three hives have no stores in the brood box. Feeders on.

Me too. Had some spring honey, but they have used most of their summer honey over August...

+! .. You are just down the road from me and it was depressingly cold this morning and despite clear skies this afternoon it wasn't that warm ..my bees were flying from first thing this morning but the landings were pretty light so not a lot of nectar about. Some full pollen baskets but not all of them seem to be finding it ... not good.

I took all honey supers off about a month ago - as both hives were using it. Wet supers go on top of one hive and 2:1 syrup in a rapid feeder on the other.

Worst year for honey ever!

Latest posts

Back