Thin to thick

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Traditionally 1/1 syrup was a pound of sugar to a pint of water.
Since a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter the weight ration of 1/1 syrup is actually 1/1.25 and hence your assumption is actually incorrect but since I can’t be arsed to calculate the density of 1/1.25 w/w syrup and the bees couldn’t give a toss anyway I’m going to leave it there, 😂
That's exactly what I used to do which is better for the bees. But over time beekeepers have over simplified/over thought the ratios. Commercial syrups tend to have a higher concentration of sugar. I used to do 2lb of sugar to 1 pint of water, if you scale it up in metric that is around 2kg sugar to 1.25 litres of water and so the syrup conversation goes on and on without a definitive answer and long may it continue. 🤣

I used to do 2lb of sugar to 1 pint of water, if you scale it up in metric that is around 2kg sugar to 1.25 litres of water and so the syrup conversation goes on and on without a definitive answer and long may it continue. 🤣
You'd have to have at least 1.25 litres water or the 2kg of sugar wouldn't be dissolved.
If you tried to do 2kg sugar to 1 litre water it would have to be supersaturated at heat and the sugar would crystallise out as it cooled to room temp.

You'd have to have at least 1.25 litres water or the 2kg of sugar wouldn't be dissolved.
If you tried to do 2kg sugar to 1 litre water it would have to be supersaturated at heat and the sugar would crystallise out as it cooled to room temp.
I've done 2kg per litre and only had a very small amount of crystallisation after standing for some time (weeks I think)

Latest posts

Back