The Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyRaes

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 planned, in reality 7 + 1 nuc + 1 A/S into a commercial for a friend
I've had a look at the medium range weather forecast (out to 10-15 days) which suggests a continuation of mostly prolonged wet or heavy showery weather throughout. (note - Scotland seems to come off best again...)

Whilst the plants seem to be about month or so behind what you would expect for the south west (so many are flowering now) it doesn't matter a jot whether there is a flow on if the bees can't get out the hive. I can't imagine things are much different in other parts of the country. One of my colleagues suggested that the British apple crop was suffering badly this year due to lack of pollination due to the weather.

I have to admit to being a little concerned to be heading past mid July with little in the way of stores. I don't expect us to be taking ANY honey off this year at this rate, I expect us to need to continue to feed and I suspect there will not be enough to go around the hives for winter so will have to merge. As our second season keeping bees and our third int he SW, I just find this season depressing and would love to know where the SW gets its reputation for good weather, as we've barely seen any.

This weather is exceptional. Wettest, 2nd dullest and 2nd coldest June on record. What's more concerning is that this might not be a one in a 100 bad summer but more of the new normal. The weather we've been having is caused by an unusual position and strength of the jet stream. There is evidence that the rapid loss of Arctic sea-ice over the last decade is changing the Arctic weather patterns and moving/weakening the jet stream in such a way that it bring us this rubbish weather.

There's an article about it here: http://climatecrocks.com/2012/06/08/more-evidence-arctic-warming-effect-on-jet-stream-more-extremes/

This weather is exceptional. Wettest, 2nd dullest and 2nd coldest June on record. What's more concerning is that this might not be a one in a 100 bad summer but more of the new normal. The weather we've been having is caused by an unusual position and strength of the jet stream. There is evidence that the rapid loss of Arctic sea-ice over the last decade is changing the Arctic weather patterns and moving/weakening the jet stream in such a way that it bring us this rubbish weather.

There's an article about it here: http://climatecrocks.com/2012/06/08/more-evidence-arctic-warming-effect-on-jet-stream-more-extremes/

Sadly, that's probably true

I have worked oudoors for my entire working life . I would say the weather is doing what it normally does with regard to 10 yr patterns . You seem to get a run of warm or even hot Summers and mild Winters followed by what we have had for the last 3 yrs or so . Cold Winters with snow laying for longer periods than usual and awful flat grey Summers .
The big difference is the intensity and extremes of weather , a shower of rain 20 yrs ago at a rate of 15 to 20mm per hr was unusual and newsworthy . We had a shower 3 years ago that ran up 56mm in less than 60 minutes . Also when it does turn , you dont get a steady climb in temps but a huge lurch from high teens into the 30s in a short time scale .
Whats causing it ? probably easier to decide whats causing CCD to be honest . Climate Change/Global warming due to Mans interference or Sun Spots perhaps ? Your guess is as good as mine .

South west weather.

Thing about the south west is yes it does get generally more sun........But there is a great big sea on all but one side and the wind 'normally' comes off the sea it hits Bodmin moor, Dartmoor, Exmoor rises cools and drops all that lovely rain.

Think the thing is that some times the weather is good when it is good its really good, but when its not which is almost always, its raining!

Could try southern France or Spain? other wise my unfortunate advise is to buy the best wellys and waterproofs that money can buy.

East Devon - when it is lovely - it is blissful...when horrible - dig a hole and hide!! Today we are 14 deg. and THICK fog...

I moved to the south west 5 years ago. Since then, we've had two winters where we were snowed in and two summers where the sun didn't seem to make an appearance at all. There have been days when it's just rained and rained, much like these last few days.

Without the rain though, we wouldn't have our wonderful scenery and, most of the time, rain showers are short and the clouds quickly blow over. We've learnt to have the right clothing and just get outside because there's no point waiting for the sun to come out.

I did a beekeeping course last year and bought hives and equipment over the winter with the intention of getting a nuc this spring. I'm still beeless though, because the weather isn't allowing the bees to feed and the good nuc suppliers are not prepared to sell me a nuc until they're happy with it.

I've noticed the balsam is about to flower, brambles are already flowering so we just need a few weeks of sunshine :)

Not too bad here in the far east today, cloud and the odd spot of rain but mainly quite bright and 21 degrees - bees flying rain or not, definite flow on, best 2 colonies have probably put half a super on this week. I think probably Lime as all the trees now seem to be in flower but there is quite a lot of bramble about and on an estate nearby the council have thoughtfully planted all the verges up with lavender which is now in flower and covered in bees.

Rich

Lime just broke bud here, but the weather is so bad I'm not sure about bothering to put a super on for it specifically. All my hives are light so its not looking good for a crop this year.

Looking like a complete wash out, fingers crossed for August and the heather yield to fill the brood chambers at least.

18 months ago I moved from the edge of dartmoor, above Ivybridge in devon to Mid-Wales, near welshpool. After 18 years in Devon I have to say that it was a lot wetter, cooler, more misty than up here, although I was quite high up in Devon, but same here really. Yes Devon is wet, dartmoor is famous for rain, but, it's flippin wet anywhere on the west side of the UK this year. The jet stream is too low again over the atlantic, it's stuck that way for another 2 weeks, it's going to be a tough year and I'm feeding 2 out of 4 colonies, with no honey taken at all since i started this lark 18 months ago, but I hope and continue to grow my colonies.

other wise my unfortunate advise is to buy the best wellys and waterproofs that money can buy.

Erm...that'll be one million waterproofs and three million pairs of wellies please. And the small issue of needing shortie ones to get the pollen baskets to fit :bigear:

18 months ago I moved from the edge of dartmoor, above Ivybridge in devon to Mid-Wales, near welshpool. After 18 years in Devon I have to say that it was a lot wetter, cooler, more misty than up here, although I was quite high up in Devon, but same here really. Yes Devon is wet, dartmoor is famous for rain, but, it's flippin wet anywhere on the west side of the UK this year. The jet stream is too low again over the atlantic, it's stuck that way for another 2 weeks, it's going to be a tough year and I'm feeding 2 out of 4 colonies, with no honey taken at all since i started this lark 18 months ago, but I hope and continue to grow my colonies.

Probably not more than half an hour or so from you John. Have to say it's all my fault. After serious droughts on the farm here the last two Aprils and last autumn for ten weeks we called out the drainage experts to sort our storage uphill. And it hasn't stopped raining since the day they arrived (job still not done)!

Same story here in South Manchester/ Cheshire; lots of rain. Who'd have thought? I still think it HAS to get better at some point.

Same here in Northamptonshire. Very unlikely to get much honey this year. Feeding a couple of newish colonies so they can make wax whilst it's raining, our old colonies are holding there own but are storing then eating . I think honey will go up in price this year as those that are lucky enough to have some will be able to command a decent price, as demand will out strip supply.

SunnyRaes;250610(note - Scotland seems to come off best again...) [/QUOTE said:
Sitting here looking out at light rain...again.....almost every day it is rain......and when its not we get east coast clag.........it is hard to equate our experience with that remark, which I know is based on the apparent weather forecast. Long term Scotland always comes of worst, sometimes 10 degrees below the southern half of England. Now with direct experience of at least one part of western/southern England, we KNOW they get more warmth, more bee working days, better and more reliable nectar flows, and the queens mate faster..................

Just once in a while it would be nice to come off best up here....

Weather forecast looking ahead is terrible, and for now the indications are that August will just be a continuation of May June and July. Time to hide the sharp knives.

Same here in Northamptonshire. Very unlikely to get much honey this year. Feeding a couple of newish colonies so they can make wax whilst it's raining, our old colonies are holding there own but are storing then eating . I think honey will go up in price this year as those that are lucky enough to have some will be able to command a decent price, as demand will out strip supply.

what is this 'honey' you speak of??

I have bees from a number of sources, and have found it interesting how each are coping with the weather.

I have a few hives of darker bees which are out in the rain and going well compared to others. They are grumpier than most of my bees, but as they are producing, I am giving HM's a leave of stay.
I have double brood'd these hives and are on their 2nd-3rd Super

My grey bees are holding their own. Not doing a lot... not really moved for months. Not a lot of brood or honey.

My Ginger bees are producing a lot of brood (many on B+1/2 or DB's), but are only collecting enough to sustain themselves, with very little left over.

Many of my queens produced last year (bought in) are failing and\or becoming drone layers. I guess it must have been the crappy weather we had last year. I would not be suprised if next year we have the same problem (I am producing Q's this year)

Also with all the feeding that is going on, I wonder how much syrup will be ending up in peoples honey. Premium price with inferior honey is not a good basis of future business.

ITLD: how are your colonys with NZ queens faring just up the road from me?

Latest posts

Back