The war, the bees, russia and the UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start to remember, what Great Britain has done around the world. Not much in South America, but everywhere else.
I know, but I don't remember whether GB denied the existence of other nations. We also know the experience of the Finnish war (I don't know how you call it in Finland) against the Soviet Union. But the world is changing. The man with some mental problems cannot dictate another country how to live.

I know, but I don't remember whether GB denied the existence of other nations. We also know the experience of the Finnish war (I don't know haw you call it in Finland) against the Soviet Union. But the world is changing. The man with some mental problems cannot dictate another country how to live.

Well, Germany helped us to keep our independence. I can say it. It gove us modern weapons. No one else did not gove.

Hello, friends. Have a time to write something as I’ve received a message from enrico and Apiarisnt. You know, the forum was unavailable here. There is my view at the situation here: the war, the bees, russia, the UK.

The War.

As you know, many people even the international experts did not believe it could happen. I haven’t believed either because it’s too absurd and stupid. It’s madness to resolve the policy in such bloody methods in the time when the world is facing the global challenges which need more cooperation rather then confrontation.

Russians used to say they were friends, but at the same time they used to humiliate Ukraine, to cause economic conflicts and to make preparations to the war. Ukraine used to follow the rule: don’t make them angry. The result of that weakness is here.

When it has started we were shocked during the first days, it seemed unreal. They began to fire missiles to airports and air force bases at night. Than tried to deliver their elite special forces by helicopters to the capital. At the same time the convoys of tanks and armored vehicles crossed our borders in the directions that you might know from the news. That huge power was broken during the first weeks. They were not ready to the resistance. Now they are not moving in such a scale in the most directions. Russian soldiers show us their shameful demeanor. They are robbing civilians, shops, houses and apartments. They don’t have enough food. Their fighting style is to destroy as much as possible, to terrorize civilians and to make fake video for propaganda.

In general this war is very brutal. My region is not the area of the battle but it is constantly under the missile attacks as almost the whole territory of the country. Though many missiles don’t reach the targets, shooting down by the defense system, but they have managed to destroy our regional TV tower, the airport and some military and civil facilities. When Russians launch the missiles from Belarus or the Black Sea the warning system is working here. Now there are not so many attacks compare to the first weeks.

My sister with her kids has arrived at our mother’s house from Kyiv. The life here is relatively good. There were some problems with internet. The nearest blasts have been some 30 km from my town which is still untouched by the war. There are also many refugees.

The cities and villages near the dangerous areas have a huge damage and many casualties. Some cities are destroyed completely by the artillery and bombs. Usually russians lie when say they are targeting only military facilities. Captured pilots recognized they had bombed civil districts.

The Bees.

At the end of February I forced myself to stop reading the news. It was necessary to check the colonies and feed them. It was in time because the food was depleting quickly. I put the frames with honey in the hives over the clusters. I was not sure that I would be here or would not lose my apiary in the coming days. Fortunately the russian forces haven’t reached out region. Other beekeepers from the regions where the war is raging say that colonies die because of the stress and vibration of blasts.

Usually March is unstable here. Warm spring and cold wintry days are mixed. I managed to check the colonies and add them food. They overwintered successfully. Only two colonies didn’t make it because they were too small and another one died of starvation. Now the bees have started the season, bringing in water, pollen. Many beekeepers feel uncertainty and depression especially who have fled the war or can’t visit their apiaries in the occupied territories.

Today checked a colony which I had saved from the death a couple of weeks ago. They didn’t have even a drop of honey, bees were almost motionless, and the weather was cold. I carried the box with them into the house, gave a frame of honey. In the morning the box was buzzing, the most of the bees resurrected though I didn’t believe the queen had survived. Today I saw the queen was working.

russia.

Obviously, the country is ruled by the fascist regime. It has a powerful propaganda and a brainwashing machine which have been working for many years. We’ve been observing its development for years. It includes propagandists, controlled media, state ideologists, politicians. This fascist ideology is called “Russian World”. There is no place for Ukrainian nation in this “world”. They will not stop even committing ethnic crimes if the rest of the world will keep eyes closed. We have communicated with many russians - unfortunately the most of the population live in another reality similar to North Korea. The tiny minority is against the war but they are at risk to be jailed as the enemies of the nation if they say something against the regime.

UK.

This country always supports Ukraine much stronger than some other big European nations which are more depended on russian money and resources. Now the United Kingdom supplies different kind of aid including military equipment and weapon. But I realize the unpleasant thing that the time of the strong European leaders has gone. The modern western leaders are weak and coward. Europe has lost its spirit, so the russian fascist dictator is using this weakness as he wants.

I hesitated to write this but… we also must understand that our Ukrainian politicians often do some bad, harmful things at the time when the army does almost impossible actions against the invaders. Now the group of the strange persons from the president’s surrounding has prepared the strange project of a peace agreement which include the whole russian agenda. Britain’s reaction was the first one and it was rather dubious. It means that the agreement is a ****. If they follow the russian agenda our country will be lost. There will be no future. As for me this is the reason for migration. Now I don’t look at this option yet. In addition men can’t leave the country at the moment.

I’ve receiver the message from your forum that British beekeeping associations are ready to help refugees from Ukraine. This is the good sign of friendship, hospitality and kindness of British people. My cousin with her kid is in London now. Her husband has a citizenship and lives there for many years. This city is very expensive, she wants to go back. My town is full of refugees; many of them are hoping to return their home soon. As far as one’s house is not destroyed nobody wants to flee far from home.

Thank you for your attention. Without western support we would have fallen quickly.

Hope to visit your friendly country as a tourist not a refugee.
Slava Ukraini
Love strength and support for all Ukrainian bees and their keepers

1648799886933.jpeg1648799886933.jpeg

Thyroid cancer as well, it’s reported by some.
Now this is getting seriously off topic, but...

Putin's puffy face has been commented upon (not least by Dr David Owen). One treatment for a thyroid lymphoma might be, I am told, the administration of a corticosteroid such as prednisolone, which might cause the puffiness. Apart from the immunosuppressive effects of glucocorticoids (which might account for the long tables) corticosteroids are known to have psychiatric side effects:

"Although disturbances of mood, cognition, sleep, and behavior as well as frank delirium or even psychosis are possible, the most common adverse effects of short-term corticosteroid therapy are euphoria and hypomania. "

And if you know you are going to die anyway, then: well what the hell.

Attachments

• Warrington 2016 Psychiatric Adverse Effects of Corticosteroids.pdf
    55.1 KB · Views: 9
No, I don't have sugar. Usually I don't feed them in spring. I have many frames with up to 1 kg of honey. Bees clear up those frames. The main spring nectar flow is from fruit trees in May. Until that time colonies usually have enough food. The problem may be in June when they are are big but nectar flow is miserable.
However sugar is very expensive and I suppose there is no limits for growing. The price between sugar and honey may be not so different than in Britain so I used to avoid to feed if possible. I didn't feed in autumn as well, when counted the work and time and conditions (hot weather and robbing).

I wonder if this is an issue for many Ukrainian beekeepers whether we could organise a trailer load of sugar from the UK to support Ukrainian beekeepers…?

KR
S

Veering (or tacking) back towards the prevailing track...

The Ukrainian author of 'Death and the Penguin' and more recently 'Grey Bees', Andre Kurkov, has been giving a series of talks on the BBC Home Service. Tonight he finally got around to mentioning bees

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00165v1

I know, but I don't remember whether GB denied the existence of other nations. We also know the experience of the Finnish war (I don't know how you call it in Finland) against the Soviet Union. But the world is changing. The man with some mental problems cannot dictate another country how to live.
The Winter War……
I wonder if this is an issue for many Ukrainian beekeepers whether we could organise a trailer load of sugar from the UK to support Ukrainian beekeepers…?

KR
S
I’d rather send them the mother…N…LAW🇺🇦

Ok wife has just told me the MOTHERNLAW is not effective against Russian armoured vehicles, unlike the
NLAW………personally I’m still not sure!!!

Yes, British weapon is very effective in turning russian tanks into the metal scrap
Well, actually the NLAW is fundamentally a Swedish (Bofors)design, tweaked for the British Army. Just as the Bren gun was so named after Brno (in Czechoslovakia) where it was designed and Enfield, where it was made.

I am so old that I was taught on the FN rifle, so called becasue it was a Belgian design - Fabrique Nationale.

FN was also a manufacturer of bicycles. A young chap called George William Patchett started out in the bicycle industry in Nottingham (and briefly held the world record for the fastest man on two wheels) He moved to FN to do more with bicycles, but then moved over to guns and thence to Janacek, the arms manufacturer in Czechoslovakia. When war broke out, Churchill ordered that Patchett, and micofilm copies of Janecek drawings, be exfiltrated to the UK. Back here Patchett developed, using the Janacek knowledge, the Sterling sub-machine gun (on which I was also trained)

When the Brits have a go at designing something entirely by themselves we end up with a disaster such as the SA80. Fortunately Heckler and Koch were able to rescue that.

Only the Swedes could call a recoiless rifle Carl!!!

In Poland sugar price is 0.8 €/kg. It is better to buy the sugar near the border.
In Moldova 0.4 €/kg.

Last edited:
And just after you'd got the hang of those new-fangled muskets, eh? :D

James
Don't be silly. But as for the Martini- Henry , ah, now there was a wondeful rifle.

(Designed by an American, a Swiss and a Scot)

He said too in that TV, that Ukrainians are same friendly fools, like Finland who believes that Russia is a nice neighbour if we are nice to them.

All us Western countries seem to think that, Canada does as well, we think the if we are nice, they will be nice. Unfortunately that is, IMO, a very naive opinion.

In Poland sugar price is 0.8 €/kg. It is better to buy the sugar near the border.
In Moldova 0.4 €/kg.
I doubt that price in Moldova. 0.8 is more real and it's too much. I would better purchase sugar for some homemade things like wine, juice, tomatoes etc. As for beekeeping it's (feeding) a work just for work with little effect. It may be different for other beekeepers. Anyway the practice of feeding in spring is not common here. For example for this purpose we have to open hives in cold weather cooling the brood, making the bees angry, at the same time bees are stimulated to fly searching the source of nectar in bad weather when they usually don't fly. May be in other conditions it would be different.
It's easier for me to give them those frames with the remnants of solid honey which they clear up very well. Those frames I usually collect after the autumn preparation of colonies for winter.

Start a new thread in the cupboard under the stairs.
Leave this thread alone
I'd like to get in the 'cupboard-under-the-stairs' as you call it but it was locked when I tried and as a carer for my wife's dementia I can't afford the time to work out how to do it. I have a deep interest in what is going on in Ukraine like most others in the UK and the world in general and I accept this thread is not the place but where is the place - almost non-existent?. Big sigh. :rolleyes: 😩

Well, actually the NLAW is fundamentally a Swedish (Bofors)design, tweaked for the British Army. Just as the Bren gun was so named after Brno (in Czechoslovakia) where it was designed and Enfield, where it was made.

I am so old that I was taught on the FN rifle, so called becasue it was a Belgian design - Fabrique Nationale.

FN was also a manufacturer of bicycles. A young chap called George William Patchett started out in the bicycle industry in Nottingham (and briefly held the world record for the fastest man on two wheels) He moved to FN to do more with bicycles, but then moved over to guns and thence to Janacek, the arms manufacturer in Czechoslovakia. When war broke out, Churchill ordered that Patchett, and micofilm copies of Janecek drawings, be exfiltrated to the UK. Back here Patchett developed, using the Janacek knowledge, the Sterling sub-machine gun (on which I was also trained)

When the Brits have a go at designing something entirely by themselves we end up with a disaster such as the SA80. Fortunately Heckler and Koch were able to rescue that.
Do you plagiarise or subscribe stuff to Wikipedia by any chance? Just a polite enquiry as you seem so knowledgeable. :)

Back