The war, the bees, russia and the UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't work when I tried last time... but there we go. Will try again sometime later.

out and out censorship Dani.
Totally right. A 'moderator' is supposed to balance things out and not let their own opinion on any subject cloud their judgement. Not not the first time have I noticed this. You've now been "found out!"

Totally right. A 'moderator' is supposed to balance things out and not let their own opinion on any subject cloud their judgement. Not not the first time have I noticed this. You've now been "found out!"
Look...you take every opportunity to find me out. Are you moderator police? Did you read Somerford's post?
Podilia posted here with an update and I was glad to hear he is alive and well. Lots of people exchanged similar sentiments then the post appeared suggesting we...the UK... had to weed out terrorists posing as Ukrainian refugees which is why women and children were having such a hard time getting here.
It didn't belong here. I asked Somerford to start a new thread with the same post. It has nothing to do with my opinion.

I really don't think tjis was just Dani's opinion ...posts were reported as inappropriate and the thread descended into something that was not relevant to the original post. We try and keep a balanced view but some topics are sensitive and we did not feel some of the comments made (whilst valid in a thread relating to the politics of the current situation) were appropriate to the thread. If anyone would like to start a discussion along those lines - feel free ... but in the cupboard under the stairs please. Access to that section of the forum is free - all you have to do is ask for access rights.

but in the cupboard under the stairs please. Access to that section of the forum is free - all you have to do is ask for access rights.
Sorry, I didn't know it was possible. Of course, the main forum is not a place for this thread.

I know two families which are in Britain now, one is my cousine and her kid. The another one is from eastern Ukraine. They have relatives in Britain. Those people really were waiting for nearly two weeks in Poland. The process is slow, but I think they still could be in Poland or any other nearest country. It doesn't matter. Going back home is easier from Poland. Now they have two options: adaptation in Britain (no problem for kids and harder for adults) or returning home. They have some property here and nothing in Britain, so I think they'll be back.

Attachments

• 3D538C91-CCD6-4BC5-BCCC-6E6BCB374E24.jpeg
    3D538C91-CCD6-4BC5-BCCC-6E6BCB374E24.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 6
Do you plagiarise or subscribe stuff to Wikipedia by any chance? Just a polite enquiry as you seem so knowledgeable. :)
Wikipedia can be quite useful, as long as you don't take anything on it as necessarily true. In this case, it might be relevant that I have been a member of the Royal United Services Institute for a few decades (and that my ability to retain anything useless far exceeds my ability to retain anything useful)

Sorry, I didn't know it was possible. Of course, the main forum is not a place for this thread.

I know two families which are in Britain now, one is my cousine and her kid. The another one is from eastern Ukraine. They have relatives in Britain. Those people really were waiting for nearly two weeks in Poland. The process is slow, but I think they still could be in Poland or any other nearest country. It doesn't matter. Going back home is easier from Poland. Now they have two options: adaptation in Britain (no problem for kids and harder for adults) or returning home. They have some property here and nothing in Britain, so I think they'll be back.

I personally am happy to hear from you and your views on the current situation here on the main forum.

If the rest of us want to have what was a much appreciated update from a colleague in a desperate situation descend into a political discussion of our own navel gazing views of the UK (both sides were voiced here) then I support that bit going elsewhere.

Is there anything I/we can do to help your friends/family that are here? Please don't be afraid to ask.

I personally am happy to hear from you and your views on the current situation here on the main forum.

If the rest of us want to have what was a much appreciated update from a colleague in a desperate situation descend into a political discussion of our own navel gazing views of the UK (both sides were voiced here) then I support that bit going elsewhere.

Is there anything I/we can do to help your friends/family that are here? Please don't be afraid to ask.
:iagree:
It’s very tempting to denounce others, I think first I will pause and reflect on my own capacity for stupidity. I believe all have an appreciation of kindness and compassion, a greater wisdom than berating one another.

Hello from the UK.
very sobering but hopeful news keep safe and good luck with everything
I Hope to visit your friendly country as a tourist one day too.
Steve

Slava Ukraini🇺🇦

You know, this is not the problem of things or money. It's emotional, psychology.
If the rest of us want to have what was a much appreciated update
Todays update is that they are withdrawing from the north but in the south east the situation is very hard. They are trying (unsuccessfully at the moment) to surroud our troops at any cost in that area. Huge losses of men and vehicles don't stop them. The result of the war will be resolved there.

We are reading that retreating Russian troops are mining even fallen soldiers and dead civilians. I can’t begin to imagine how dire the situation must feel. I’ve spent my entire baby boomer life cosseted in safety with distant wars just that ….. distant. 🥲

You know, this is not the problem of things or money. It's emotional, psychology.

Todays update is that they are withdrawing from the north but in the south east the situation is very hard. They are trying (unsuccessfully at the moment) to surroud our troops at any cost in that area. Huge losses of men and vehicles don't stop them. The result of the war will be resolved there.

So what can we do to support them emotionally? :)

We are reading that retreating Russian troops are mining even fallen soldiers and dead civilians. I can’t begin to imagine how dire the situation must feel. I’ve spent my entire baby boomer life cosseted in safety with distant wars just that ….. distant. 🥲
As a country the UK has been very fortunate ... even in the worst times of WW2 we were, unlike the majority of Europe, not occupied under the heel of an opressive government and occupying forces. We have really not known an invasion of our lands since 1066, despite a few who have tried.

I cannot begin to imagine what it is like, at present, for Ukraine and the other former Soviet states who broke free from the bonds of Russian domination for a freeer life associated with the West. Ukraine are facing the brunt of the onslaught but the other countries, with borders shared wiith Russia, must be wondering if they will be next to face invasion in the unthinkable situation that Putin gains any part of Ukraine.

This war will not end until Ukraine's borders are free of Russian forces. The impact in terms of lives, property, economy and emotional cost to the victims is worse than Europe has ever seen - it makes you exceedingly grateful for a roof over your head, clean water, heat and food on the table. No matter how badly off some people are in the UK it pales into comparison when compared with Mariupol and the surrounding area. We must do all we can to help, Ukraine must succeed, as the future of Europe as we know it may be at stake.

Well, actually the NLAW is fundamentally a Swedish (Bofors)design, tweaked for the British Army. Just as the Bren gun was so named after Brno (in Czechoslovakia) where it was designed and Enfield, where it was made.

I am so old that I was taught on the FN rifle, so called becasue it was a Belgian design - Fabrique Nationale.

FN was also a manufacturer of bicycles. A young chap called George William Patchett started out in the bicycle industry in Nottingham (and briefly held the world record for the fastest man on two wheels) He moved to FN to do more with bicycles, but then moved over to guns and thence to Janacek, the arms manufacturer in Czechoslovakia. When war broke out, Churchill ordered that Patchett, and micofilm copies of Janecek drawings, be exfiltrated to the UK. Back here Patchett developed, using the Janacek knowledge, the Sterling sub-machine gun (on which I was also trained)

When the Brits have a go at designing something entirely by themselves we end up with a disaster such as the SA80. Fortunately Heckler and Koch were able to rescue that.
I'm so old I was taught on the Lee Enfield 303. Did a course on the Belgian FN auto reload, single fire rifle, pre a deployment to Malaya during the troubles there, thankfully the deployment was cancelled when the we landed at Cyprus, and we returned to the UK.

Latest posts

Back