The Rose Hive Method

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does the methodd compare in terms of honey production with, saw a 14 x 12 hive? (Sorry, I know it's an unsubtle question)

How does the methodd compare in terms of honey production with, saw a 14 x 12 hive? (Sorry, I know it's an unsubtle question)
Honey production depends on good forage area's,weather, and good bee's,not the type of hive.

************* dot com

Admin edit:

The rules state "no advertising".

I keep around 100 hives in West Cork. They're my only source of income..

Hi Everyone - In case you're interested my book has just come out. All comments welcome.

www.*****************/rose-hive-book.html

"Ordinary beekeepers everywhere are contributing to the huge pressures honeybees are under. Though well-meaning and hard-working, they are part of the problem that is causing a massive decline in the population of honeybees throughout the world."

"In this book Tim Rowe challenges the hives and the hive-management we all take for granted, and offers instead a simpler hive, a new management approach, and a better way of working with our bees.."
I wasn't allowed to include the full address - not sure what's so wrong with telling people about something interesting..

Actually you'll need a varying number of boxes for brood throughout the year - because the broodnest shrinks and expands. That's why there's no excluder..

I just called my local independent retailer about buying this...to be told that despite the website claims - the book hasn't been supplied to the main book distributors so my local can't buy/sell it. A glitch in the system me thinks...
You're right. The ISBN people take a while to process things but it should happen any day..

I like national hives - bog standard - because my bees seem to fit their broodnest nicely into them and I like national supers because most short lived west wales honey flows let my bees fit the honey into them nicely, anything bigger would result in alot more partially filled boxes

I think the beauty of this is that it is 'horses for courses'. If it doesn't work for you, you don't have to change but as I am just starting and still reading and trying to learn I am keen to try and see things from all sides.

Honey production depends on good forage area's,weather, and good bee's,not the type of hive.

Know what you mean. I'd also like to include good bee management and beekeeper forward planning which I feel are also important factors...

I wasn't allowed to include the full address - not sure what's so wrong with telling people about something interesting..

It breaks the forum rules.
If we allowed self promotion the forum would soon fill with spam.

Try the BBKA forum,for a fee they will promote anything from pesticides to hive types.

The reason I asked is that I have heard it said of Warre hives that you can get lots of happy bees but not a lot of honey. bee-smillie bee-smillie bee-smillie

The reason I asked is that I have heard it said of Warre hives that you can get lots of happy bees but not a lot of honey.

Remember that Warre hives are top bar and that the bees have to build the comb from scratch, which means extra work load for them..
Not had a full year with mine yet so cant give figures as to what they produce per box.

************* dot com

Admin edit:

The rules state "no advertising".
The administrator reminds me that advertising isn't allowed in this forum. Not a bad rule, of course, but it rather makes a nonsense of trying to discuss a book.

I feel strongly about the way I was taught beekeeping many years ago - the way that is still taught these days. In many ways it is not only unhelpful for beekeepers but it has had a serious detrimental affect on honeybees. That's why I wrote the book - to challenge conventional beekeeping methods and attitudes. I certainly didn't do it to make any money!

I think it would be best for me to continue this discussion on other sites which allow links. There just isn't time to get involved properly everywhere.

Good luck everyone!

I like the sound of the book and the hives...but this sounds a bit like chucking his toys from the pram because he can't play how he wants...

It might help if he contributed to other threads instead of just the ones that he happens to have published a book about.

I'm sure if he was an established forum member he would be allowed more licence but looking at this objectively he's only appeared because he has a book to promote.

Could always advertise it on ebay.....

oh! is that classed as advertising ebay????????

Should this not be in the Beehive Types Section? and could there not be a place in there that the people that wanted to advertise their websites could put a link so that we would not need to trawl the internet?

It might help if he contributed to other threads instead of just the ones that he happens to have published a book about.

I'm sure if he was an established forum member he would be allowed more licence but looking at this objectively he's only appeared because he has a book to promote.

I agree 100% Peter.

We have a few members who sell their stuff to other members,they also spend hundreds of hours a month on the forum and answer many threads if it is related to their product or not.

Tim joined the forum back in March 2009 and has been to busy over the last 19 months to offer a single piece of help and advice to other members,yet he has time to run 100 hives and come and tell us all about his new book,he even has been kind enough to direct members to his website and tell us the book will soon have an ISBN.

I dont make the rules,the members do,the majority of members say no advertising and a few are kind enough to help out with the server software fees.

I am happy to go with what the membership wants,as Admin I am also happy to look a d*ck at times by enforcing the rules as it is of longterm benefit to everyone.

Admin.

Back