Rose hive error

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It varies.
I was given a rose hive in 2020, and worked it last year in accordance with Tim Rowe's method. But I've now realised I've caused myself a problem.
I got the hive down to two boxes in the autumn and treated it with Apivar. The hive is busy and I'll shortly be needing to add a third box. But I've realised that I shouldn't take a crop this summer from the treated frames. So now I'm going to have to work the bees out of those two boxes and in effect make them start again from scratch, abandoning all they've brought in already this year. The only bright spot is that I have two boxes of drawn comb to help them get started.

You don't need to worry about extracting honey from wax which has been exposed to Apivar, as long as the honey itself hasn't.

You don't need to worry about extracting honey from wax which has been exposed to Apivar, as long as the honey itself hasn't.
I have always understood that there may be a residue left in the wax and that it shouldn't be reused if the honey then stored in it will be used for human consumption. Is this being over-cautious?
The treatment was in the autumn. I'm not using Apivar for spring treatment.

I have always understood that there may be a residue left in the wax and that it shouldn't be reused if the honey then stored in it will be used for human consumption. Is this being over-cautious?
The treatment was in the autumn. I'm not using Apivar for spring treatment.

That's over cautious, yes.

There's no evidence of honey being contaminated by wax which has previously been exposed to it

Latest posts

Back