The prices people pay in london for Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judging/setting the right price for your honey isn’t always straight forward. Locality has huge influence of course. Sales channels are also very important factor.

No wonder, they most likely come back because they would rather pay for your much cheaper honey compared to the more expensive English honey sold by companies like Rowse in the supermarkets.

Had to pop in to the local M****sons for supplies earlier Pete and took the opportunity to take a look at the honey on the shelf. Interestingly, Rowse were selling a 680g squeeze thing for £4.85 and on the label on the back....

A blend of EU and non EU honey

I also checked every type they were selling and it has it on all the labels.. :(

My first year selling. Went for £8/lb at shop or market and £7.50 over the gate. Lots of repeat business and sold out now. Hertfordshire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hachi - you must keep going as mine sells in various places for the equivalent of £9.27 a lb - £6.95 for 12oz retail

£6.25 to £6.95 for 227g here retail. 340g are £8.25 or more. Almost no demand for 454g jars for retail - perhaps unsurprising as they'd be over a tenner - though I sell 'from the door' in that size.

Last edited:
£6.25 to £6.95 for 227g here retail. 340g are £8.25 or more. Almost no demand for 454g jars for retail - perhaps unsurprising as they'd be over a tenner - though I sell 'from the door' in that size.

This is almost double the rates I see here in SW Scotland. Here 1lb goes for ~£8.00-8.50 retail. Maybe due to difference in markups?

That is the retail prices I have seen in the Garden Centers and Farm shops in and around this area too!

This if often for non local honey.... although the "local" bottlers labels seem to omit origin.
We have a meeting with Cornwall Trading Standards in the New Year.
I shall bring up the point!

:calmdown:

I have obviously been underselling. I sold my 12oz jars to friends and my wife's work colleagues (she has a lot of them) for £4.50. Next year I shall put it all 1lb jars and sell them at £6 with better labels and weights on to try to make them look more professional. I can't bring myself to run the price up to eight quid or more after all it's only a hobby and no matter what I sell it for I'm not going to make a living out of it; I certainly don't want people moaning as that would just put me off selling it at all. As you can tell, I would not make a good businessman. :)

I have obviously been underselling. I sold my 12oz jars to friends and my wife's work colleagues (she has a lot of them) for £4.50. Next year I shall put it all 1lb jars and sell them at £6 with better labels and weights on to try to make them look more professional. I can't bring myself to run the price up to eight quid or more after all it's only a hobby and no matter what I sell it for I'm not going to make a living out of it; I certainly don't want people moaning as that would just put me off selling it at all. As you can tell, I would not make a good businessman. :)

I disagree, getting as much as you can isn't always good business, having satisfied customers is, in my opinion, paramount. Good on you!

The prices I quoted are retail in up-market 'artisan' shops (with lots of truly local produce), with their markup. I don't think there's any suggestion that customers are unsatisfied. Repeat sales from the door suggest the same.

Watch the price ShinySideUp ... prices that avoid having to make change are good ... £5/jar (probably too low) or £15 for two 1lb jars. In shops the 1/2lb jars sell best of all as they're "gift-sized". From the door - where people are presumably buying more for their own consumption - the small jars are the least popular.

Here in Spain we pay about 8 euros per kilo, and 11 euros/kg for organic .
:welcome:

Latest posts

Back