The prices people pay in london for Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking through old BBKA journals the average 1lb of honey was said to be equal to the vale of a farm labourer 's hourly rate of pay

Farmers weekly says the farm labourer wage is now £8.74 per hour

so £6.55 per 12oz or £8.75 per 1lb or £9 per 500g would seem a minimum honey sale price based on the average wage

Farm labourers are not paid enough!

Nadelik Lowen

Because people panic. His is x so I need to be less than that to sell mine and the downward spiral starts again.

PH

I set the price of my honey, if the customer doesn't want to pay it they don't have to. Currently Heather Honey selling extremely well at £10/lb and nearly sold out of Borage honey at same price.

Many customers get suspicious of honey sold at too low a price.

As I said, the customer dictates the price. Yours will pay a tenner but around here you wouldn't have customers.

Sounds like you are giving it away.
What are you able to sell a given weight of heather or summer blossom honey for?

Last edited:
As I said, the customer dictates the price. Yours will pay a tenner but around here you wouldn't have customers.

So I'm loking for 500lb multifloral runny in 30lb buckets. Best price please?

So I'm loking for 500lb multifloral runny in 30lb buckets. Best price please?

Probably do you about 1/2 to 3/4 's of that. Last I heard was £3.30/lb bulk in buckets. But negotiable ( a bit!!) depending on collection/delivery.

As I said, the customer dictates the price.

Have to admit, I, not the customer sets the price that I sell at. If they don't want to pay it that's fine they can jog on after, I tell them to read the label of what they are buying in the supermarket. Most come back. My problem is I never have enough.

I've started this year, selling for £7/lb

Have to admit, I, not the customer sets the price that I sell at. If they don't want to pay it that's fine they can jog on after, I tell them to read the label of what they are buying in the supermarket. Most come back. My problem is I never have enough.

So you'd be happy to keep it all if nobody would pay what you ask?

I tell them to read the label of what they are buying in the supermarket. Most come back. My problem is I never have enough.

No wonder, they most likely come back because they would rather pay for your much cheaper honey compared to the more expensive English honey sold by companies like Rowse in the supermarkets.

So you'd be happy to keep it all if nobody would pay what you ask?

I don't keep any. I've sold it all at £6/lb for the last three years and have recently put my prices up to £7/lb to test my market and its still sold.

I position/market mine to where I think it sits within the sector I'm selling. Do people turn and walk away when they ask the price... sure they do, but not many and I always sell out.

I also spend lots of time educating and informing my customers to how its processed and its beneficial properties. I do this because sadly, sticking a "Honey" for sale sign outside the front door doesn't work for where I live.

No wonder, they most likely come back because they would rather pay for your much cheaper honey compared to the more expensive English honey sold by companies like Rowse in the supermarkets.

Don't disagree Pete but you'd think my name is Dick Turpin to some on here 'cos I'm getting £7/lb.

I'm not sure how much Rowse sell in this parish but they don't hold much shelf space, its 95% blended from all over the globe.

I'm not sure how much Rowse sell in this parish but they don't hold much shelf space, its 95% blended from all over the globe.

Just seen some Rowse English Squeezy Honey, 250g for £7.93 on Amazon, from regional beekeepers (could even be some of mine among it)

More than double the price of your honey.

Hell yeah and some will pay it, they must do.

A lot on here sell for a lot less too.

Not sure of the point your trying to make Pete

I'm still working my way up Pete :)

Latest posts

Back