Is this label legal and the price!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I reckon that a "statutory information only" (text-only) label is the way to go, with an additional larger decorative and interesting label for marketing purposes that does not suffer the constraints of the statutory labelling (which is round the other side of the jar).

That's my thoughts as well - Plain front and all the compulsory cr@p in the back

I read that putting an e in front of the weight indicates an average amount eg. e454g or e454 g. Can we do that with our honey?

Erichalfbee - you have more artistic talent in a toenail than I possess in total - wish I could have wonderful labels like that!!

I read that putting an e in front of the weight indicates an average amount eg. e454g or e454 g. Can we do that with our honey?

It's years since I could be bothered to look it up, but I think that signifies a specific procedure involving certified, calibrated scales, comprehensive records and the chance of having your bottling plant inspected. Because it allows a degree of under-weight as well as over-weight, within certain parameters, it's worth investing in if the few grams saved per jar add up to something useful, as they do for commercial packers. But those of us at the artisanal end have to err on the expensive side of caution.

Well all those labels I had printed will now go in the bin as on sunday my apiary will be gone due to a new land owner who is allergic to bees so good buy Gwrhyd mountain and hello Rhydpandy

Home designed printed online.
These are the ones I use at present though it's still a work in progress.
Before you say what's missing. It's on other labels.
I have a circular address label on the bottom of the jars and one label has honey from Wales on it so I haven't put "produce of Wales" on it.
BUT as I say....a work in progress

They are both great and well done.

Was it a case that the jars with the new label sold for more alongside the same jar with simpler label?

And another question have you taken up painting? Or it’s a design from the internet and if so a point in the right direction would be great. Personally I like the simpler the better but love the paintings in your labels.

Forgot to mention I love the honey labels and obviously a talented artist, what medium did you use oil or acrylic

I've seen very long BB dates, what is the shelf life?

Last edited:
Trading standards in my area suggest a 2 year shelf life. I asked why as honey doesn't go off. I got no reply so decided to do as told.

Craig

Aaaaaargh. What have I started.
I don't have much talent at all but I do have an eye for presentation.
I was going to PM a few people but it might just repeat what I have sent one of you.

The internet is awash with such art.
One of the easiest places to get it is to download wallpaper which has a large file size and is free. Otherwise you can usually find the artist,drop them a line about how you are a hobby beekeeper and poor and can you use their artwork for a small sum. You either get no reply then it's up to you whether you use it anyway or often they let you have it for nothing.
I use Vistaprint or Handy labels. Not the cheapest but then I'm only after a couple of hundred or so labels every season.

Tom,the honey was at the other end of the table amidst a few two jar gift packs in a jute bag embellished with a little Christmas ribbon, and I cheekily priced just a few jars as an experiment.
I intended to use the fancy labels just for Christmas time but who knows.
I will explore the cost of very simple labels with just the bog standard info as itma suggested, then I can dispense with any writing (except perhaps HONEY) on the pretty picture.

Trading standards in my area suggest a 2 year shelf life. I asked why as honey doesn't go off. I got no reply so decided to do as told.

Craig

Yes, we've done 2 years from jarring.

Last edited:
I also print my own so can alter any dates and text. I doubt they can do anything about it as it doesnt go off.

laser printer, inkjet tends to run/smudge if they get damp. I found my jars get condensation on them when i take them out of the house and put them into the car to do a market. With the laser printer its not a problem.

Latest posts

Back