The prices people pay in london for Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
when shopping I always look at honey prices just to make sure my honey is above the standard going price

in a large organic shop chain in Muswell Hill London they have 250g of summer honey from a company called Black Bees Honey for £9.99 and that is equivalent to £18.15 per lb or £39.96 per kg

I read the label further and it said honey sourced from Beekeeper Peter, location Exmoor

So Mr HIVEMAKER, How much are they marking up Exmoor honey over the Wholesale price you sell it?

Attachments

• bb honey.jpg
    bb honey.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 153
What an awful label... was it the" Black bee Company ? a much lauded crowd funded outfit of bottlers?

My sister saw our own label Cornish black bee honey* for sale in a Cotswold delli for £16.50 (227g) sitting alongside genuine Manuka honey going for £32!!!!!(8oz)

* Produced by real Cornish black bees in Cornwall.

Someone is making a killing

Nadelik Lowen

when shopping I always look at honey prices just to make sure my honey is above the standard going price

in a large organic shop chain in Muswell Hill London they have 250g of summer honey from a company called Black Bees Honey for £9.99 and that is equivalent to £18.15 per lb or £39.96 per kg

I read the label further and it said honey sourced from Beekeeper Peter, location Exmoor

So Mr HIVEMAKER, How much are they marking up Exmoor honey over the Wholesale price you sell it?

Good for them, if they can get someone to pay that price I take my hat off to them. I am sure Hivemaker will be wholesaling at a competitive price to.

We can and do sell our real Cornish honey at a yuppie market for a premium price, all produced from our Pedigree Buckfast bees in the heart of the Duchy.
S

I have seen a poster in a local deli close to here from that company making in my view some pretty dubious claims about their product.

Anyone else seen them? I went back to take a pic but the shop was in turmoil as they had just won a rather prestigious award.

PH

My take on this is it’s market forces....but I get riled when I see European imported comb honey for sale at £12.99 in a local farm shop yet they don’t want to buy (my) local comb honey

I wonder how far people in large urban centres are willing to go when paying for bee stuff. In the DUblin area, I have seen nucs for sale that are almost double the going rate around here (only 50km away), and after this article, heather honey sells for up to €20 for 8oz.

Is this a reflection of how much spare cash city dwellers have, or are the city beeks more realistic about their prices?

Geof, they all vary, but a price they know they can sell it for and are happy with I hope, I sell it all bulk price, the same price to all, a price that I'm satisfied with.

Last edited:
More like the adage "A fool and his money are soon parted."

The streets of London are paved with gold.......

.... and there are still people living up there in cardboard boxes and relying on begging to live... bit like Penzance

Nadelik Lowen

British "hobby" honey, cold filtered and unadulterated is a premium product, and is sufficient to supply less than 10% of the market. I do not understand why people are happy to give it away at cost (£4.20 retail price in our local corner shop). Our target revnue including retail discounts is North of £6.00 per pound, and next year we will be working hard to get over £7.00.

Our problem is not finding the market at this price, it is sourcing quality product. Why do people drive around London in 4 x 4 Chelsea tractors when a Ford Fiesta will do the same job for a fraction of the price and better? It's about added value. It's marketing. Simples.

British "hobby" honey, cold filtered and unadulterated is a premium product, and is sufficient to supply less than 10% of the market. I do not understand why people are happy to give it away at cost (£4.20 retail price in our local corner shop). Our target revnue including retail discounts is North of £6.00 per pound, and next year we will be working hard to get over £7.00.

Our problem is not finding the market at this price, it is sourcing quality product. Why do people drive around London in 4 x 4 Chelsea tractors when a Ford Fiesta will do the same job for a fraction of the price and better? It's about added value. It's marketing. Simples.

1% more like!

I had a Smart Car when SWMBO's little Suzuki 4x4 was in for new shoes and the pre winter check.... Great little car ( the Smart car) 2 seater ideal townie car... if I could find reverse! ( foot brake has to be applied before it will engage)... as much fun as my teenage Isetta!

Nadelik Lowen

1% more like!

I had a Smart Car when SWMBO's little Suzuki 4x4 was in for new shoes and the pre winter check.... Great little car ( the Smart car) 2 seater ideal townie car... if I could find reverse! ( foot brake has to be applied before it will engage)... as much fun as my teenage Isetta!

Nadelik Lowen
I don't know how any1 could drive them things , how would they fair in a crash

I wonder how far people in large urban centres are willing to go when paying for bee stuff. In the DUblin area, I have seen nucs for sale that are almost double the going rate around here (only 50km away), and after this article, heather honey sells for up to €20 for 8oz.

Is this a reflection of how much spare cash city dwellers have, or are the city beeks more realistic about their prices?

looking through old BBKA journals the average 1lb of honey was said to be equal to the vale of a farm labourer 's hourly rate of pay

Farmers weekly says the farm labourer wage is now £8.74 per hour

so £6.55 per 12oz or £8.75 per 1lb or £9 per 500g would seem a minimum honey sale price based on the average wage

1% more like!

Nadelik Lowen

my wife uses a Toyota Aygo ( almost a smart car) and drives around in London 20mph zone roads.

i had to go to Carn Brea near Cambourne to see my aunt who was very ill and my car had a cracked Radiator, so i borrowed my wife's aygo

Motoway all the way at night and it maxed out at 65mph at the start of the M4, by the time i got to exeter it could do an indicated 90mph. The wife said it drove like a different car when i got it back to her having blown all the soot out of the aygo's exhaust

Magic....
I drove my Isetta to Hull to catch a ferry to Gothenburg...... when I got back someone had stolen it.... Police eventually recovered it in Carlisle with a note to say they ( the thieves) had put a new set of tyres on it as a thank you!

Nadelik Lowen

Shouldn't you start your stories with "Once upon a time"
That way people can understand its a work of fiction.

looking through old BBKA journals the average 1lb of honey was said to be equal to the vale of a farm labourer 's hourly rate of pay

Farmers weekly says the farm labourer wage is now £8.74 per hour

so £6.55 per 12oz or £8.75 per 1lb or £9 per 500g would seem a minimum honey sale price based on the average wage

Absolutely

This is what we all ought to be aiming for

KR

S

Latest posts

Back