The Philippines How we can help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
There is a petition starting www.change.org asking you to support the request that all unclaimed UK lottery money is sent to the Philippines. (think about 12 mill involved) Better to them than sitting in a bank making more money for fat cats.

Maybe search it out, add your name and spread the thoughts to your friends too.

But dont be taken in by the bastards using paypal .co.uk link for donation- they are a scam- real paypal is .com

There is a petition starting www.change.org asking you to support the request that all unclaimed UK lottery .

A few points - i'm all for the relief for the Philipines - as a maritime officer, I've encountered a lot of Filipinos over the years and as a rule they're devout and hard working and I do really empathise - especially the seamen as many of them only get to see their families back home every 18 months or more. But a few specific points have come to mind here.

I don't think it's 'unclaimed prize money' rather the first prize wasn't won Tuesday, so this money will go back into the prize fund for the rollover.

Does the person starting this petition (and I must admit I am getting fed up of the 'change' brigade raising a petition for every whip stitch now, they'll be doing it if they want a window opened before long.) actually buy Euromillions tickets - a lot of people buy tickets for a chance to win a prize - this is their prize fund which they have paid for so unless every person who does the Euromillions lottery voted yes to donate, it shouldn't happen.

Wouldn't it be better if he/she got out and collected money to be sent to the Phillipines rather than sit on backside raisng pointless petitions regarding other people's money which won't change anything for ages.

You'd be much better off telling your friends,colleagues,family to use the interweb to go on to the Red Cross Website and donate some hard cash.

Last edited:
yes, but why not donate it-- just for once -instead of' rolling it over...

The next week will be far too much money for one person to manage anyway... They may get 12 mill instead of 24 mill... I for one wouldn't care to only have the 12

Maybe this petition will stir into action something good that no-one else thought of.

And just heard on local news- 2 poppy collection boxes nicked- some charmers out there.

p.s.
already donated, my little Welsh friend

Last edited:
They dont have the right to donate it, its not theirs to donate. It belongs to the millions of people that have bought tickets. I doubt any of these petitions get taken very seriously, I can never remember any changes being made by one of these.

Funny that.. banks can keep account money if not used for a few years.

And, yes some petitions do work....

Remember when 2 million of us came together to stop the flogging of a 15-year old rape victim in the Maldives? Her sentence has been quashed!

Another example: Remember how almost 2 million rallied to stop the Maasai tribe in Tanzania from being kicked off their land for a hunting reserve? In October the Prime Minister announced they could stay! The petition provided a powerful basis to show world disgust.

Those that do nothing gain nothing .

And it doesn't belong to the millions who bought a ticket that week ... they didn't win it.

Last edited:
Heather I dont dispute those, its just where there is money involved and a lot of money things are not so easy as give it to them. (by the way I have allready donated).

Shall we spare a thought for lonely old pensioners who will die this winter because they are scared to turn the heat on in this wonderful caring sharing country of ours.

Shall we spare a thought for lonely old pensioners who will die this winter because they are scared to turn the heat on in this wonderful caring sharing country of ours.

charity begins at home

They do have a roof over their heads. And I looked after the elderly for many years so know the problems and did all I could to help, so don't think I am a ....!.

But we turn on a tap for water, have a hospital with drugs and anaesthetics- at the moment those lovely people have neither. Surely we can give every area of help before thousands more die. Sod the lottery roll over for one week.

Veg.. you being sarcastic?? Hope so. The world is one family, and we are able to help other human beings. We are a very lucky nation, with temperate weathers, with many organisations to help people in need. We are not queuing for water to keep children alive or worrying about the quality of any water maybe causing babies to die as it could be contaminated. Dead bodies, stink and leak fluid. Disease is days away for the vulnerable... but yes, lets consider our own charity needs... and buy another lottery ticket. Might get that roll over. Let them roll over and die.

Last edited:
lot of money lying around doing nothing in savings accounts let's say sod those greedy people and give it all away as well. We're losing the point here (or at least the person who started that ridiculous petition has) It is not the fat cat's money it has not been taken from anyone - when someone buys a ticket there is an implied contract. A certain percentage of your £2.00 is promised back as prize money. period if the prize doesn't go one week - it gets put back in the pot to win next week - it's still the participants money. So let's stop all this emotive posturing - if you want to start a petition, petition everyone to give a pound (or two or three) into a collection tin, or not smoke/drink for one day and give that money in. Or demand that all the big city traders/bankers give at least ten percent of their bounuses to the red cross this year (it will be tax deductible anyway)
Starting this petition is just a demand for someone else to give money instead of giving it yourself.

My apologies to Paypal if it was an authentic request for a donation, but I got a Paypal scam in my mail just yesterday asking to update my account, and when I phoned Paypal they said that their account was .com and not .co.uk which the scammers were using.

I still say use any method to send help to these people who have nothing left of their lives. We have so much in comparison.

Yes its sad to think some people will be scamming to try and get hold of money people want to donate.

When something like this happens we have to think there for the grace of god as it could be us one day hit with a monumental natural disaster and we may need help.

This is a huge disaster and its good to see that countries are starting to react especially the Americans but I am confident that in time the money raised by the British public and our contribution will be impressive.

The lottery is a voluntary tax on the foolish - they have already thrown the money away; why not make sensible use of it?

Latest posts

Back