The latest date to extract the honey crop?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no 'set' latest date. On one occasion, at least, I removed a super of honey in November, but that was exceptional. Seasons are not as predictable as in the distant past, I think.

Location, weather, need for treatments or feeding, etc can all make a difference. I don't generally bother too much with extracting until September. But, there again, I don't rob them of everything and they generally don't need feeding and just some rearrangement of stores between colonies - particularly at uniting time - is all that is necessary. One and two colony beeks clearly do not have the flexibility afforded to those with multiple colonies, so fixing dates is not something beekeepers should be doing.

Not worried about Smelly Socks Ivy coming in ??

No never had a problem with it so far!

In fact I removed 3 (EMPTY) supers today and the 2 that I left on aren't ready for extraction yet so I will probably leave then another 1-2 weeks and then decide whether to extract or nadir.

In terms of feeding I don't have to worry as I have about 6 deep boxes full of frames of sealed honey to give them back.

Last year, my first year of beekeeping, I took them off last week of september. I noted that they consumed a lot of the honey by then especially from the supers. This year I harvested twice and behold, it seems like there is still nectar coming in but they have eaten up the outer frames of the broodbox. As I am on 14x12, that is a huge difference in harvested honey. I will keep an eye on the weather and put supers back on if Ivy flow is good and nadir them at the end of the season.

I will keep an eye on the weather and put supers back on if Ivy flow is good and nadir them at the end of the season.

Why go to all that bother for you and extra work for the bees?
Let them put ivy nectar straight into the brood box.

Why go to all that bother for you and extra work for the bees?
Let them put ivy nectar straight into the brood box.

yeah was not clear on that. only if broodbox is full of stores I will put on supers. these can then be stored or nadired (under other hives that have less stores if needed).

I still have 20 or so supers still to take off and harvest, plus loads of half full ones that will be topped up with Ivy and mustard in the next few weeks.
Will take some off in the next week or so when I get chance, no hurry as its not going anywhere.
Treated with MAQ's 3 weeks back, leaving the supers on gives more space whilst treating.
Only fed nuc's so far.

Extracted the last of my crop for this season about an hour ago.

Tomorrow will be the last Harvesting day for me.
They have done well this year and have more than enough for winter even before the Ivy starts.
No sugar feed this year :)

Pete D;502246 said:
You have more confidence of that than I, it certainly doesn't go anywhere once it's safely in buckets.

No never had a problem with it so far!

In fact I removed 3 (EMPTY) supers today and the 2 that I left on aren't ready for extraction yet so I will probably leave then another 1-2 weeks and then decide whether to extract or nadir.

In terms of feeding I don't have to worry as I have about 6 deep boxes full of frames of sealed honey to give them back.

Another 4 empty supers ( they were not empty a couple of weeks ago!) removed yesterday.

Looks like very little to harvest this year but on the upside I haven't needed to feed any colonies yet!

Took all mine of yesterday uncapped til 1am must be made all came to 520lb of half my colonies ����������������

Just got to feed them now��

Latest posts

Back