The latest date to extract the honey crop?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred scuttle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi I would normally have extracted from all my colonies by now but 2 in particular as still bringing a lot of flow in due to the mild weather we're having in Lancashire this week.... I'm mindful of the required winter prep and feeding follow extraction but wondered what is the latest any other beeks have left it before and not compromised the colony by still having time for the necessary winter preps?

My own thoughts are to extract this week and anything else they bring in is left for them, topping up with syrup next week.. But would welcome any one else's views and experience on leaving it another week or so instead, or am I in danger of getting greedy about my honey crop? Thanks

personally I would get it off now as if you need to varroa treat and feed it ain't leaving you with alot of time, in the paper to day it says we are gonna have an Indian summer but I find bees don't take syrup in October.

And an Indian Summer will just bring the Ivy along faster and it's not far off now. My supers are still on btw.

mine are coming off next weekend - surprised actually how much some colonies are piling in at the moment but you have to stop sometime

Last edited:
I prefer to have colonies fed treated by end of September, except those on heather, there again north east england is another world to other parts of England.

I've taken supers off in October in the past but Balsam was flowing and it made sense. Balsam is offering up nowt this year and though there may be Willowherb still around, there ain't much now and it's seeding and the Ivy buds look like bursting quite soon. A nice week this week and I'm sure it will be in flower, I'm planning to shift them on the weekend and hoping there's still some honey left for the beekeeper.

Taking mine of this Thursday just before the ivy flow bit late really but taking a day of to get it all done☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️

I've taken supers off in October in the past but Balsam was flowing and it made sense.

Similar here, but it is due to the heather instead of Balsam... usually start any winter syrup feeding in October, carrying on until early Nov where needed.

I've just taken two empty supers off and given them back their ivy stores. They were on the brink of starvation. About 10 wasps on every frame too. Absolutely plagued with them

Balsam was flowing and it made sense. Balsam is offering up nowt this year

I think I have to agree.
Most of the bees coming home are dotted white but there is absolutely nothing in the brood boxes,(apart from the one colony(a cast from July) that hasn't had a super on) and what is in the supers I have nadired
Feeders on three hives...though only ticking over till Ivy opens.

Reckoning I'm going to take them off next week as I've pushed it as far as I think is wise. Then treat and start to feed them up. This weeks weather is supposed to be good hence the delay of a week. some decent pollen coming in in the morning but little during the afternoon. Keeping an eye on the Ivy. :)

Still got supers on and lots of balsam coming in
Not planning to extract for 2 weeks minimum
Keeping a close eye on weather forecast
Ivy still in tight buds so no issue there.
Bees are very busy, a super was half filled in a week

Still got supers on and lots of balsam coming in
Not planning to extract for 2 weeks minimum
Keeping a close eye on weather forecast
Ivy still in tight buds so no issue there.
Bees are very busy, a super was half filled in a week

Ooh, You gambler you! LOL :biggrinjester:

Took mine off last week, our weather worse, high pressure but temps only about 15/16

Word of warning ivy can vary, some in tight bud, others open close by.

Terrible year, but managed three supers so , not a complete disaster !!

Took my final crop off today and put on the first autumn varroa treatment. Overall i'm happy with the crop considering the lack of sunshine this summer.

I tend to do my final extraction mid September, looking back at my records.

This year it will be later this week as I'm away working next week and probably too busy the week after!

I took final crop off 24th Aug and started Apiguard. Given the weather and Himalayan Balsam the girls have found I might have been better off waiting another two weeks until now ish.

The very first of the ivy is out now.

Latest posts

Back