The Flood Victims.............

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Into the lions den

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
>4000
Just an update to all those who have been concerned and caring enough to reply in private to the predicament of the 43 colonies washed away in the flood of 23rd December.

Finally, today, 31st, two of us, by wading up to our belly buttons through the water, got into the little forest where most of the hives had been washed.

Some hives (3 actually) had been recovered earlier when a change of wind blew them across the floodwaters to another place a mile and a half away. Today we got to the rest and lifted them up out of the water although there is still some gear in water too deep to reach.

The final upshot is that out of the 43 colonies it looks like ALL the gear has either been recovered to higher ground, or is accounted for and will be reached as soon as water levels permit. Of the 43, 31 are very much alive and look in reasonable order for having been bobbing around in a flood for 8 days with no roof on in torrential rain and even snow. 3 look so so. 4 had tipped over and the combs were scattered. 3 were dead from the cold and wet. 2 had been drone layers and it looks as if they had petered out even before the flood though they have been found intact. No hive that had remained upright and on its floor, and had been alive before the flood, seems to have been lost. Shudder to think what it would have been like had these been wooden hives.

For now it all has the look of having somewhat got away with it, though will not be counting any chickens until April.

Good to see that not all was lost and amazed how bees can survive such horrid conditions, glad you also survived the early morning dip

Polystyrene hives will hereafter be known as Arkhives.

Sounds like a truly awful experience :(

chris B's faired similarly, you should have borrowed a boat and towed them as he did Murray would have saved the cold and wet a little, wood does float but not as buoyant as poly

chris B's faired similarly, you should have borrowed a boat and towed them as he did Murray would have saved the cold and wet a little, wood does float but not as buoyant as poly

lol.......oh we thought hard about it......but the boats are not so good at getting over deer fences and through hawthorn thickets, and tonight I have the scars to show that neither am I. The farmer offered his boat, and one guy who collects military stuff even suggested his landing craft. Problem was not knowing what you were going to hit, and the impenetrability of the hawthorn and , further in, conifers AND hawthorn. It was planted to be impenetrable, and was hard going, would not have got a boat through.

The number of dead animals is sad too. One the first day there were dozens, from voles all the way up to hares, all round the high water line, even partridges.
Once we got into the forest the dead deer were there too, the flood had cut off and then drowned, a whole group of roe deer. Thats the thing with deer fences, keeps them out when you want it, but can also cut off their escape at times like these. Sad.

Last edited:
Of the 43, 31 are very much alive and look in reasonable order for having been bobbing around in a flood for 8 days with no roof on in torrential rain and even snow..

That's truly amazing. I am suprised but delighted that so many managed to survive.

Thanks for the update.
Cazza

Good news about your hives ITLD, thanks for the update.

Terribly sad about the other wildlife though.

Hi ITLD,
Sad about all the loss of wildlife, but amazing about the bees (fingers crossed). Do you still think it is the damp that kills them? I bet you never thought seamanship would come in so handy in looking after bees. An officer, gentleman and hero! Happy New Year.

That`s good news Murray, relatively speaking it could have been so much worse, still very sad about the lost colonies and the lost of wild life, hope the survivors make it through the winter ok Chris

I am thinking about launching a Noah's Ark hive..

Sad losses but some good news. Becoming an improvised boat isn't the first item on choosing a hive material, perhaps it should be higher in the list.

I'd have thought the problem would be stability, how easy it would be to turn upside down or roll in the water, scattering boxes to the wind. Would strapping 4 or more together make a more viable raft if there was no way of moving them in time?

Really good to hear that so many survived. I'm lucky at the moment in that my out apiaries are on higher ground with not too much chance of flooding!

Real shame to hear about the loss of wildlife.

Really good to hear that so many survived. I'm lucky at the moment in that my out apiaries are on higher ground with not too much chance of flooding!

Real shame to hear about the loss of wildlife.

Brilliant. How long did it take you to build upto 43 hives.

Back