The Effectiveness of OA Vaping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poot

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Five
I thought I’d attach a photo of the tray following a 24 hour drop after vaping, to show how effective it is.
The thing that has unnerved me is this colony was a nuc in late May which has become a large colony now - but just look at the number of mites!
And they are only the mites that were on the bees.…..3BDBB0C5-D8DC-4FF1-AB1F-FD532DED98D1.jpeg

I thought I’d attach a photo of the tray following a 24 hour drop after vaping, to show how effective it is.
The thing that has unnerved me is this colony was a nuc in late May which has become a large colony now - but just look at the number of mites!
And they are only the mites that were on the bees.…..View attachment 33708
Just goes to show natural drop is no indication. Thanks for posting.

Without a doubt, Phil.
Good photo Poot, a stark reminder of our enemy No1!!
Thanks for posting, please do a follow up as your treatment progresses?
Will do. Good idea Steve.
When I removed the tray I distinctly heard some bees discussing how much better they felt….

I flinched when a member of our committee at our association suggest we should do a talk on ‘treat or not to treat’. Just treat and save time on the debate. Leave no treatment to beekeepers who have the time and skills to look at uncapping rates under the microscope.

Update - here’s the 24 - 48 hr drop. Scary stuff.
2F06313E-C610-4F80-97EB-9C44F50A2BF4.jpeg

Looks likely you'll be vaping again shortly.

Mine are due for vape no. 3 later today. I don’t bother with a board as I know they will all drop loads!

Mine are due for vape no. 3 later today. I don’t bother with a board as I know they will all drop loads!
Me too, I dont count I just accept I have it, keep myself abreast of latest scientific learning and understanding and treat accordingly.

I think it's worth seeing, if you have the time to monitor then go for it. I'll admit it can take your time away from other things but it's very educational for novice beekeepers, many claiming they haven't seen any varroa. I bet Poot didn't see any but this shows what is probably lurking in your hives and follow up pics show how these 'things' cling to existence.

Me too, I dont count I just accept I have it, keep myself abreast of latest scientific learning and understanding and treat accordingly.
This year I have four splits that have had Oxalic strips in all season. (I'm keeping the honey) two have Apivar on now and drops are negligible. Not sure about the efficacy of Amitraz these days so along with the other two I will vape them as well.

I OA Vape Dani have done for some years now 4 x every 5 days. Its the cheapest way. Isn't Amitraz the one everyone is saying the varroa has built in resistance to now?

From what I've read (which may clearly be wrong), Amitraz resistance has been found in some mites in the US where specific beekeepers are believed not to have followed the intended procedures for treatment. For example, they've left Amitraz-impregnated strips in the hives for longer than the specified treatment period. I'm not aware of any reports of Amitraz resistance in mites in the UK as yet, though it seems inevitable that such cases will occur given that there's ultimately no control over how Apivar is used, for instance.

James

I OA Vape Dani have done for some years now 4 x every 5 days. Its the cheapest way. Isn't Amitraz the one everyone is saying the varroa has built in resistance to now?
Yes.
I remember Pete Little saying whole apiaries of his were resistant

Latest posts

Back